Sign in to follow this  
almost_there

WTF? This just keeps getting better and better *rolls eyes*

Federal Credit Corp. left a message for my DH at my parents house within the last couple of days. I nutcased them at the beginning of this month. This is for a debt that I already paid to another CA. There is only one way they could've gotten my DH's name, and that's from my EX credit report, because it lists him as my spouse. She asks for him on the message as his name appears on my report, too, interestingly enough.

Can they even do that? Call when something is in DV or dispute like that I mean. I checked my EX inquiries and they aren't showing that as how they got his name. Also, she says"When you call, please reference federal case number*****" Making it sound like a court case! I hope I have another case against a CA, I'll let them pay my closing costs LOL But seriously, do I dare call this woman back tomorrow and get to the bottom of this? Is this continued collection activity? Can she lead me into thinking it's gone to court when I have gotten nothing to suggest it has?

This is an old Sprint bill from 1996, so SOL is up, too. Plus I paid Gulf State Credit already for it. I need help with this one. What do I do next?

By the way, the message is being recorded as we speak in case I do have a case ;)

Since it is paid and past SOL, this may be one time when it is okay to call a CA. I would check to see if it is ok to tape calls in your state and consider calling them to see what their problem is. Act like you have no idea what they are talking about and ask what the federal case number is all about. Like you said, you might rack up some serious violations to pay your other bills.

The address on my EX report for Federal Credit Corp is in Texas, so I looked up both Texas and Minnesota laws on taping phone calls. I should be safe to do it for both states. But just to cover my bases, I will disclose to them when I call. This was my debt, but they've made no attempt, to my knowledge, to contact me. The message for DH is all I've heard since I got my green card back dated Sept. 3.

Also, the "federal case number" that this woman mentioned is my account number for the debt. That is how I even recognized what this was about, because I actually remembered the account number. It's one of the bills on my "you must pay the following debts before close" list. It's on there twice because some twit along the way reported it once as SPRINT12345 and also as just 12345. I can't prove I paid it either, because Gulf State used a different number entirely when I paid them. I suppose I could prove it in the long run, but it would be alot easier if the same debt hadn't had 3 different numbers associated with it!

So when I call, should I just play stupid or what would be a good thing to even say to them?

You could do as "Pale" says, and possibly increase the violations, maybe. But, be careful. I wouldn't. I would sit down and write a total C&D as you have sufficient violations now to get their attention. You would clearly state the SOL for your State, including that some States consider it Fraud/Extortion to even attempt to collect on a timebarred debt. You would make it very clear that you saved the tape as the CA clearly violated by misrepresenting the debt with their "Federal" number, especially since you know what the number represents. Also include they are continuing collection on a debt that you are disputing and they are aware of it. Be sure to include copies of your previous letter and green card. You would also include the fact that they called your in-laws to leave message when they had your current and correct address as I am sure you still have your green card from your letter you sent off. You could add the fact you did pay if off, even without your proof, as when you hit them with their violations, they should fold real easy. You would close your letter by saying they have 10 days from receipt of your letter to respond, in writing, that they have closed account, removed all negatives from all 3, will not sell, transfer, or reassign to anyone. If they fail to do so, you will name them in a civil suit. Of course, you will add

up to 5 days for snail mail. If they are, in fact, still reporting, you would add the violation of reaging, too, if it applies. It is entirely up to you as "Pale's" post can work. My only hesitation is due to the taping the call laws. Even though you know it is OK, there is always an attorney or someone that can find a way around it. If, for some reason, they could have them not entered into evidence, there is your main defense gone. Think hard about it.

Sprint must be the debt that refuses to die! xhotx

Today, a new collection account appeared on TU for "08 Sprint Communications Company" with a different account number than the other references to it, different from the other 2 CA's that had it. It says opened in Oct. 2000 and Paid Collection - payment after charge off/collection :( Why in the heck would this appear now for the very first time, after it has been paid and I am requesting validation from the CA's that have handled it....ahhhhhhhhh I am fuming right now! When I find out who put this there, their a$$ is mine. This is BS! That account is paid, SOL, and should be rolling off in a few months as DOLA was early '97.

Guys, pick this apart for me will you, help me find some violations here because there must be some when this account just comes up out of nowhere like this. Someone's got some explaining to do!

I wouldn't waste my time on a nutcase. If they are reporting a paid debt that did not involve them, I would immediately send an ITS. Your first violation would be FDCPA 807(2)(A). Sit back and read both the FCRA and FDCPA, along with any State Laws that apply. Before you start, go over all info you have to make sure you have covered every violation you can find, such as reaging, balances, unauthorized interest or charges, and any other you can find. You should also be able to charge them for permissible purpose if they made an inquiry. After you have done this, come back with what you found and let us help you.

Thanks Retmar. This one that now appeared courtesy of Gulf State Credit is now being disputed. I disputed it with the other CRA's in Round #1 and it came off. Upon closer inspection of my TU file, the account was there as "Suppressed pending credit grantor's update" I guess it's just not suppressed anymore. I got my panties in a bunch for nothing I guess. Gulf State has got to be about the worst darn CA EVER!!! I can't stand those punks :x

I have WAY too much going on right now, it's hard to keep it all straight. xshotx

I look forward to the day, coming soon, when my credit is pristine (when all my old mistakes go away and everything is paid). I'm almost there.

By the way, it was Gulf State that ended up getting paid for this account. It was with 3 CA's. Why do I feel like I'm a juggler? ;)

No problem. Just sit down, take a deep breath, and relax for a while. Don't let these "ADUBS" get to you that way. After you have settled down, take each of your CR's and list the negatives that are related. You said there were 3 CA's. Double check each one so you can find the similarities to prove duplicate entry, then you can dispute them that way. Whatever is left after that you can continue disputing in other ways. From what I understand, a CA cannot verify a debt they are not collecting on. One of the more senior members will correct me if I am wrong, but, if this is true, then dispute again around the holidays. Don't give up!

An update....they called again. They spoke to my dad this time and he called me saying "who has a case against you?" because they used federal case number again as their reference. I was going to take it easy on these creeps with a C&D letter, but now I think I will go after a lawsuit :twisted: Wish me luck.

I would call them and tape it. Dont tell them you are taping it. If You dont have to disclose taping in either of those states then I would do it!!!!

You could get yourself a quick couple grand for NOTHING!!!

I would get me a tape and call them right away. Not to mention its past SOL, already paid and you DVd a different company.

Heck I enjoy pissing those goofballs off.. I say tape them and find ya a lawyer looking to make an easy buck or two.

Ok, so I call these people. The guy on the phone didn't know what the heck to think when I started in with FDCPA violations and a really bitchy attitude (I would've made Swede proud ;) ) He was just trying to talk me down, but he got kinda pissy with me right back. When I said SOL, he said 7 years. When I said, "well I ain't talkin' about the reporting period..." he said 21!!! That's right folks! You heard it here first! He said, "well we might only be able to sue you for 5 or 6 years, but we can try to collect for 21." To which I sarcastically replied, "well thanks for the info, it's always good to learn something new." HA! It was quite an interesting conversation. Too bad my tape recorder did a crappy job of recording it, it would've been a good one to play at parties xbeer2) So, anyway, our conversation kind of escalated until he said "no need to get all attorney on this," and I said "let me talk to your supervisor." I get the sup. on the phone and suprisingly, this is where things calmed down and I made some real progress. I explained that this debt was paid and I wanted the listings removed from the CRA's. This guy gives me a fax number and an email addy to send my proof (I kept the checks thank God) and says that if I can prove I paid it, no problem. They report again on Oct. 14th and he says they can be removed then if the account is paid. And we agreed that, on the off chance, this debt is actually valid/collectible that we'll get it cleared up. I know our rules here are "Never talk to a CA on the phone" but I tend to have pretty good results with some of the ones I've talked to.

We'll see if I'm still saying this in a week or two, or better yet if I am still as optimistic on Oct. 14th.

By the way, when I confronted the "federal case number" issue with the first guy I talked to, his reply was so totally lame..."well, we are Federal Credit Corp and that is your case number." Even if they do cooperate with me on getting these removed, I feel like suing them just for being so blatantly misleading and so DUH! about it xgeekx

No matter what, do not be nice to them. You have more than sufficient evidence to file. Don't forget your Dad can bear witness to his conversation with the "ADUB". Also, if you did tape them on that call, you should be able to decipher some of it. I would love to talk to these people, especially the rep you talked to. It would be a riot. As to his excuse about the Federal Number, that takes it up even more. I'm sure Pale Rider would agree with me as I say that I wish I had been there to hear this one. Go get 'em!!!

HOLY CRAP! These guys are just too much! I faxed them my proof of payment to Gulf State only to be confronted that the account numbers do not match :evil: So, Federal Credit Corp is telling me that I owe $628.58! which is my bill plus interest and that validation of the debt is on it's way, including a signed authorization of the debt. (Green card was dated 9/3, this letter with the shiny new total and word that DV is on the way is dated 10/1, just so you know)

I tell them, "look, I only ever had one Sprint account and I paid it."

They say, "the account numbers we got from Sprint do not match."

I say, "Be right back, let me call Sprint."

Sprint says "Gulf State says you didn't pay yet, your issue is with them"

I say "ok, now about these account numbers?"

Sprint says "All Sprint account numbers have NINE digits, the number you are giving me from Federal Credit Corp. only has 8"

(meanwhile, all my old bills from Sprint and from Gulf State have ALL NINE numbers!)

I call Federal Credit Corp and ask "where is the ninth number?"

Reply "uh....we don't have it. When accounts come in, we scramble some of the digits so we don't know what that missing digit is. But if you really want to try with Sprint, try 6 in front or at the end because I think this bunch had a 6."

WTF!!!!!

The advice from Sprint: Get on Gulf State's a$$ to get it updated with Sprint, the OC, that I paid this damn thing.

The advice from Federal Credit Corp: Settle this now so I can move forward with my business. They'll even let me settle interest free! OMG! How nice of them :roll:

BS! I want to see them try and send me a signed document for the account after the hard time Sprint had finding me in their system. I want to see them try and validate a debt with an incomplete account number. This is WAR!

I'm off now to make more calls xburnoutx

No matter what, do not be nice to them.

Oh, and by the way, did I mention that these fools have become complete pr!cks, please excuse my language, once I started being a pain in their a$$ about the details of this account. They obviously do not like people that know what they are doing 8)

Keep the "Stuff" flying! You're on a roll now. I had to laugh about the account number issue with the "ADUB". If they intentionally scramble, they should at least have a way to unscramble. What a Line of "Stuff"! DUH!!! Which way did they go? Definitely keep us informed.

Go get um almost_there!! You have the proof and they should not be allowed to do what they are doing. You have come to far and have to much riding on getting things taken care of. Nail them to the wall and get some $$$ out of them for a down payment on your house.

paw67

After spending like all freaking afternoon on hold calling Sprint, Gulf State Credit and CSC(over another matter) I am about ready to go postal on all these fools! Here is a run down of my day...

Called CSC about the fax I sent them Friday evening proving that I am NOT past due on my student loan. I called to make sure it was received and press them about why it should take 30 days to investigate when the proof is right there in black and white, all it would take is a 5 minute phone call to confirm it with my lender. I told the lady "look I know you are entitled to 30 days but...." She got really cranky with me. I said to let me talk to a supervisor. She got mad and said, "well they're just going to tell you the same thing I just did." I said, "I don't care, let me have a supervisor." Then I got some ladies voice mail. I wrote down her extension and I throughly intend to be a pain in their arse everyday for the next 30 days if I must :D I HATE CSC!

Now, on to the topic at hand. After spending WAY too much time on hold, I got the following further info from Sprint. They can only find one account. The account I have proof that I paid. And even that one is hard for them to find given the age of the account. NO ONE could find the account with the number that Fed. Credit Corp. gave me. Sprint even called Fed. Credit Corp. too and even with them on the phone! Sprint could not verify that account. I have an address for Sprint's Customer Service Correspondance place, which apparently has no phone because NO ONE had a phone or fax number for it. I asked at one point, "doesn't this place have a phone?" It must be in a cave somewhere only accessible by riding a donkey in! :roll: But screw it! I have enough info to know I paid this and it's SOL and they can't find the account that Fed. Credit Corp is trying to collect on, so I called an attorney. These guys definately are asking to be sued. Heck! They are practically begging for it.

Now, about Gulf State Credit...I called and got put through to some woman who asked for my info., account number, name, address, etc. When I said, "well my address at the time was ---" She was like, "ok, just let me update your new address. Did you have a new address, ma'am?" I was like, "well not one that I care to give to you!"

Then I said, "look, I paid this Sprint bill and now I find out from Sprint that you never let them know that I paid it."

Her response...ready...it's a good one..."well, we don't have to let them know. We have to let the credit bureaus know, but not the company." I don't know if that was BS or not, but if it looks like BS and smells like BS, to me it is BS and I was in no mood for BS at this point, and just went right to the point. "Send me a UDF then." Then I gave her my new addy so she can send me the UDF and I took her name and ext. number. Gulf State sucks and if I never deal with them again it would be too soon. I wish I had a reason to sue them, too! LOL

EVERYTHING I have relating to this Sprint bill, including old phone bills from when I still had service, a letter from Sprint's legal departmant, the paperwork from Gulf State, all of this stuff has one same account number. As far as I am concerned, Federal Credit Corp is trying to scam me, I have no records, recollection, or knowledge of their account or number. They told me to just pay it anyway, without interest even!, and it will all be over with. It's just too bad for them that I wasn't born yesterday and they found me after I found this board.

This is going to be fun! :twisted:

Just don't forget to share all of this comedy with the rest of us. This is getting better every time you update.

Talked to the lawyer today. This one is on it's way shortly to "Suing Credit Bureaus and Creditors" section 8) Lawyer said that them using the "federal case number" thing was definatley a violation. I am faxing him my info. soon and we'll see what else he can find.

Talked to the lawyer today. This one is on it's way shortly to "Suing Credit Bureaus and Creditors" section

Note that all posts in that section have been merged into the "Is there a Laywer in the House" forum........