I am taking over negotiations, please help

groundzero

I had hired a lawyer to settle and repair my credit but after 7 months he has done absolutely nothing and has not even notified the creditors that he was repesenting me in the matter, so I have fired him. I have read alot of information on the repair and settle option and I am going to go that angle but I need some advice. I am settling my wifes accounts as well as my own. She has a credit card account with MBNA that is ready to be charged off and they have called and offered a $2700 settlement. I am going to accept the offer pending a favorable credit rating for the account. The account was opened in Las Vegas but we now live in Kentucky. The outstanding balance on the credit card is $11,500 + addiditonal fees for late payment and intrest increase. I know that this is a good offer but I am not sure how to ensure that I keep the deal loophole free and that I am ensured that the account is paid in full and the credit rating is restored to paid in full or account closed paid in full. I know that I have to get the offer in writing from them and then respond to the offer via certified mail. I also know that I will send the payment via money order and keep all of my receipts and copies of the letter that I send them. Is there anything else that you can help me out with. Is this even the right process? Thank you for your help.

I just received a call from MBNA to settle the account and told them that I was willing to settle the account for the $2700 but including in the settlement offer I nedded the account to state Paid in Full or Account Closed - Paid in Full. He stated that was impossible. I told him that I had several sources that stated otherwise. Needless to say he tried to get me on a payement plan and convince me that a settled account was not negitive to the credit report. I told him that I had $3000 to spend and that someone would negotiate on my terms. He told me that the debt would charge off in 4 days if I did not settled before then. Is there anything I should do before that time and do you have any other suggestions. Once again thank you.