BBB in my area is WORTHLESS!! (LONG sorry)

paw67

Filed a complaint several months ago for DH on a ca that has 6 accounts listed on his reports (2 on eq, 6 on EX & 5 on tu). 5 of the 6 are for medical collections from the same hospital. Sent dv letter a while ago and disputed. EQ said the 2 accounts listed were updated to paid in full, EXP added the dispute notation about 2 days after they verified and TU just said that they were verified but no dispute notation was added. (have them on several violations)

Filed a complaint online with the BBB & AG (still waiting on AG). BBB happens to be our local one since the ca is only about 1 hour away. They forwarded the complaint to the ca who in turn sent copies of medical bills from the hospital to the BBB & carbon copy to DH. DH & I were mad because they didn't care to respond to us be went ahead and send medical info to BBB.

DH got a letter from BBB with the response from the ca basically saying here are the bills, he owes the debt & he is more than welcome to call an arrange to pay.

We fired off another response. 2 of the accounts show paid on EQ so why are they still open on the other 2. Also 2 of the other accounts were never submitted to insurance by the hospital yet they had the insurance info for a different bill. Another problem is that the dollar amounts don't match from what they claim is owed, to the hospital bills, to what they are actually reporting.

Lady from the BBB called the other day to speak with DH about complaint but since he is out of town spoke with me about it. She was such a moron. She basically said, well if you would pay your bills, you wouldn't have a bad credit rating. She said that all DH was doing when he asked for DH was quoting a "bunch of numbers" and not actually dealing with the situation. I tried to explain but she obviously didn't care, in her mind they sent the bills so we should pay. I told here that we have no idea who they are and will not pay them 1 penny without knowing for sure if they are even authorized to collect for the hospital & what is actually owed. She said well, don't you have records from then (97-98) to go through and see what was actually paid. I don't have any records from back then.

She stated that after receiving DH's response she sent it on to the ca and they hadn't responded in 3 weeks so she was closing the case. I asked why is it assumed that they are correct if THEY are not responding. She said that we would have to take it up with them and if we couldn't, then we would need to contact the hospital.

I absolutely HATE being treated like a deadbeat, which is the way that she tried to make me feel. Not everyone is a deadbeat just because they get behind on things. Sometimes events happen in life that we have no control over and we have to deal with them the best we can.

Sorry this post is so long just had to vent a little because it has been bugging me for a couple of days now.

Thanks for reading!!

paw67

i look at it like this no ones perfect and it kills me when people treat u like crap because u owe or have bad credit. i just ran in to a situation where people applied for loans at those high interest places so theres a lady work there tells everybody business and if they work at the same place but there more than one way to skin a cat her a$$ is grass im going to see if shes going to still tell who all hav loans or who went bankrupt and not paid them she really stuck her foot in her mouth.

HEHEHE, you know Paw, what would really be funny here, if you filed a complaint about the BBB to the FTC and AG. Now that would be a fun thing to watch. Could say she descriminated agaisnt you cause she felt you were a DEADBEAT. And you feel she wouldnt look into this cause she has good credit and you don't. I bet there are 10 things you could use agaisnt her in complaints.

I agree with the others. I would file a complaint with the State BBB as well as the State Department of Consumer Affairs and the State AG. What was done was no where near proper and totally unprofessional. You did not deserve to be treated like that. You could also place an article in your newspaper's "Opinion" section about the lack of care and professionalism displayed to consumers. As long as you tell the truth, they can't do anything about it.