Sign in to follow this  
Auntnana

Want to sue TU - need help

I disputed some tradelines with TU bank in July. Got a letter..third party used...won't investigate...yadayadayada. Sent them another letter 45 days after first green card stating I didn't use a third party and I want them to investigate, included copies of everything. Never heard back but did get green card.

I want to sue them but have no idea where to start. Do I HAVE to get a lawyer? I went pro se in my BK and did dandy. I'm guessing I'll win since they blatantly broke FCRA twice but how long does the process usually take from the time I file until court until anty up?

Any and all advice is appreciated! I'm in Tennessee.

No, you don't have to get a lawyer. I did it myself, as did a few others on this board. You've got em, and if you do it right, by the time it's all said and done, you won't have to communicate with TU ever again.

My best advice to you is to just read all the threads on the lawyer forum here...there are a NUMBER of threads talking about your exact situation--many started by yours truly, as I was kind of the board's guinea pig to call them out on it. Just do a little research and you should be fine.

They WILL call to settle, btw.

You have several options. First, you can try to get a lawyer to represent you on a contingency basis. That means that you don't pay any money up front and the lawyer will take a percentage of the recovery if, and only if, you win. There has to be enough money in the case to make it worthwhile for the lawyer so this option is most successful if you have some sort of credit denial (turned down for a refi, etc) that boosts up your damages.

Another route is to sue them yourself. Many people opt for small claims court because the rules are more relaxed. In Tenn, I understand that you can sue for $10K which is quite generous. If you decide to go this route, here is some more info:

http://www.tba.org/lawbytes/T9_1800.html

Good luck.

It's actually 15,000 in Tennessee, Calalawyer. Best small claims court I've ever seen :)

Silly question but I can't find it searching.......do I use TU's main address?

Do a search with the keywords sue TU or sue Trans Union...or else look for posts by myself, SwFerguson, Wert(I think)...there are others, but I can't think of them off hand.

HOnestly though(and I'm not scolding you), I'm getting these vibes(and I could be wrong) that you're looking to kind of skim through and not really have to do a ton in terms of the research department. If that's the case, I think I'd take Calalawyers advice, and hire an attorney to handle it for you. It's a simple process once you do all the required reading, but there's a lot of it, and a not insignificant amount of effort is involved in the learning curve. This isn't one of those things that just kind of get handed to ya :).

Ya, swferguson and myself sued TU and they will call you to settle. You will need to find their registered agent for your state, so the Secretary of State's web site in your state may be the place to find that. Their corporate address(es) are around here somewhere and I have it at home if you can't find it anywhere. There was a good business link posted here a while back. As Xan said, read up as much as you can, especially in this forum. You will see success stories from Xan, swferg and myself.

Watch out hiring a contingency lawyer - they will want you to pay the "costs" which can be very expensive. They'll nickel and dime you on everything (.25 for copies etc.) It is probably better if you do it yourself. If you get in trouble you can dismiss and then hir a lawyer.

Watch out hiring a contingency lawyer - they will want you to pay the "costs" which can be very expensive. They'll nickel and dime you on everything (.25 for copies etc.) It is probably better if you do it yourself. If you get in trouble you can dismiss and then hir a lawyer.

In some states, the law requires the client to pay costs. In others, the lawyer can advance costs on the client's behalf. I'm not suggesting you decide one way or the other (actually, I post here mainly to help people who want to do it themselves), just trying to give you accurate info.

Even if you pay some costs up front, you may be reimbursed for them if you win.