fingerhut

pjwife27

Does anyone know how to actually contact a live person that handles charged-off accounts thru fingerhut? I would like to pay/settle an account from 98 but keep getting the this phone number from the customer service reps that won't even let me talk to someone w/o an extension number and the reps dont know what that is. They told me to fax something. I would really just like to speak to someone. I haven't received a letter from collections, so I don't have that to go on.

Also, I opened this account under my name only, my social, no authorized users. I found out this account is on my husbands credit report-can they do that? and how would they even find out his s.s #? It even says individual account on my credit report, not joint.

I appreciate any info, I'm over in Okinawa so calling and time differences are very frustrating!

Thanks!

Is the account with a debt collection agency? If so then send them a debt validation request certified mail.

Include this reference from the FDCPA:

FDCPA Section 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

See this link for more info:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I have called the customer service folks and they keep giving me that one bogus number. I'm just going to have to write a letter, but I'm antsy and I just want to pay the darn thing over the phone and get it over with. I don't even want to settle, I just want to pay what I owe and get it off my husbands credit report because it doesn't even belong there. I will write to that address. I received a collection letter long ago when I couldn't afford to pay it, a couple years ago and haven't heard from them since. I pulled my credit report and its not listed under a collection agency either, it just says fingerhut. I'm more mad at myself and now I finally have the money to pay it. What I really would like to do is get them to just take it completely off my credit report, do you think there is a chance they would do that if I pay in full?

Again, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Offer Fingerhut what you owe but on the condition that they either remove the report from the credit bureaus they report too, or change the status to "paid as agreed" and remove the payment history. Send a certified letter with that offer. Tell them to contact you via mail with their decision.

See this link about settling debts:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/settle_debts.shtml

Well, its from 1998 and went bad in 2001. I want to pay it for numerous reasons. I'm due to go back to the US in another year and before I left I was working at a small loan company. As we all know, they check your credit before you go to work at these places and I would like to have that cleared up as much as I can. Second, I am just trying to settle up old debts and be done with them.

The debt was incurred in GA. My home state of record is WA. so, I think I have awhile before the SOL runs out, am I correct?

Another problem I'm having, fingerhut put this delinquent account on my husbands credit report also and listed it as individual. I though that was weird. It was opened in my name only. I disputed it with experian and they looked into and changed it to "authorized user" What?? I never added him as an authorized user, and I'll tell you I remember because I never told my husband about the account. I know, bad thing, but I was young and stupid and he would have been mad at the time. So I think that is completely bogus.

So, there is another reason for paying it.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hounded by this company before on an old debt, and once you send them demand for validation they go away. Also dispute with CRA as NOT MINE watch how quickly it removed from your report. Also your husband can take the same action, if they refuse to remove it from his CR, he can sue them for a violation of the FCRA and claim damages up to $1000.00 per violation.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after reading so many wonderful posts and getting ideas, I am trying to go the dispute route, disputing it as "not mine" They all seem to be all screwed up over there, so hopefully they'll just delete it. Otherwise, I'll negotiate to get it taken off my report!