Sign in to follow this  
cybercrusader

CA sends letter to 12 year old

Another gem from the "How Low Will They Go Department":

A friend of mine's 12 year old daughter gets a collection letter from North Shore Agency in New York --- apparently for a subscription to a magazine which the kid never had. She says she entered a contest (which probably subscribed her to the magazine - unintentionally).

Anyway - the letter is ridiculous. It says in part, that you are ruining any chances for future credit. I have a copy of it for my "shame" file. Also, what really gets me is that it says this:

NOTE: Parents may not have any legal obligations for their children's purchases. If you have any questions about your obligation to pay this bill, we suggest you seek legal advice.

I guess they're telling the kid to go find an attorney because their parents may not be responsible for the bill. :shock:

What a sad joke -- especially since they know they're sending the letters to potential minors. Maybe next they'll threaten to garnish her allowance or start calling her 13 year old girlfriends.

i Just threw them in the trash...You dont give your ssn or any other identifying info (other than your name) so I dont know how they can put something like that on your CR, Although I wouldnt put it past them....But how on earth can they prove you subscribed? I wrote north shore back once and never recieved a reply and they never showed up on my CR. Was for a magazine I though sucked and I didnt want, yet they still sent the damn thing to me anyway :)

Northshore has recently lost a huge class action for their scam on subscription 'collections'. The stupid letter to a 12 yr old is insane.. but if they're still at it after losing this huge suit, they're probably breaking laws in doing so !!!

Northshore has recently lost a huge class action for their scam on subscription 'collections'. The stupid letter to a 12 yr old is insane.. but if they're still at it after losing this huge suit, they're probably breaking laws in doing so !!!

Now that's interesting considering the letter appears to have been recently mailed (November).

Thanks for the info.

Edeleman, Combs and Latturner had a class action 2 years ago against North Shore -- NSA settled..

Go over to www.ripoffreport.com.. NSA tried collecting from a NINE year old !!

AND...

http://www.budhibbs.com/budhibbs/agencydetails.asp?ID=83

North Shore is part of OSI - which file for BANKRUPTCY this year !

I guess they're telling the kid to go find an attorney because their parents may not be responsible for the bill. :shock:

I don't know if any of you saw the Newsweek article about the so called "litigation explosion" intended engender sympathy for corporate america which is simply besieged by frivilous lawsuits. Why doesn't anyone do a story about corporations who try to sue little girls? I guess it is OK for corporations to use the Courts but we consumers should just live with defective products, poor service and illegal conduct!