Sign in to follow this  
tj34994

NEWSWEEK Magazine, FCRA and CRA - Anyone heard of this?

I read this today in the Dec 2003 Newsweek Magazine.

"Worried about your credit information? Congress made some major changes to the Fair Credit Reporting Act last month that should help assauge your fears. By the end of next year consumers will be able to obtain one free credit report a year from each of the three credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. ........................

And creditors will have to tell consumers before reporting negative information to credit bureaus. Such provisions should help consumers control their credit information and ........... Still, many consumer groups opposed the federal rewrite because it prevents states from enacting stronger consumer protection laws of their own"

Has anyone heard that the creditors will have to tell us before reporting negative information? Anyone know where we can find this rewrite? I checked, can't find the "new" FCRA with this information.

Got it. Thanks. I've made a copy for my records. Does this mean a violation for court if they don't adhere? :p

Anyone know where we can find this rewrite? I checked, can't find the "new" FCRA with this information.

Yes, it's on the www.ftc.gov website, it's the amended version that's posted.

Is this definite? Meaning is everyone allowed to recieve ONE FREE report a year from each of the CRA's?

I just talked to someone at Experian and flat out told me that it's not a law yet...send $8 when you send your information (I've changed addresses) for your credit report.