Sign in to follow this  
bldrxl

HIPAA

I posted a question about 4 weeks ago abt. a medical collection and collection agency. They say they sent a bill and have my correct info. but I DID NOT ever recieve one. I've never dealt with the CA (who doesnt need a lic. or to be bonded in Cali.)

Anyway, I took the advice of sending the payment to the HC provider and writing it out to the OC with a specific

line on back saying "not to be cashed by any 3rd party agency". The check never cleared and was not returned. I called the OC today and spoke to the sect'y for the Director of Patient Accounting (the billing people won't speak with me) She said the problem is that when they (the OC) sent the statement I requested they forgot to include the interest accrued by the CA. But, they'll go ahead and consider this payment in full.

HOWEVER, they have sent the check to the CA and the CA will run my check Despite the notation of not to be cashed by a 3rd party.

I feel that's just totally wrong. I'm glad it'll be paid. But I'm really ticked that they went ahead and sent my check to the CA.

I really don't care how many bills they say they sent....I didn't get them. So, what use is this HIPAA stuff if they just ignore it? I'd at least like to know if I have grounds to complain somewhere and "if" the CA does cash that check....It's got to be fraud or something. right?

Sounds like you got hold of an idiot. An OC can recall a collection at any time - don't let them tell you otherwise. The other part is this crap about not be able to talk with you because a CA is handling the collection. The debt is owed to the OC - the CA is nothing more than the hired goons that shake you down for the money. You have a right to discuss any billing problems with the OC as long as they hold the debt.

File your complaints to whomever will listen.

Sigh...I had 2 unsuccessful HIPAA attempts...I haven't had any luck with it at all..just paid CA's, one for DH, one for me on EX..:(