Discharge vs. Closing Dates on C7?

dessp1rate

Is there a difference between these dates in a Chapter 7? Filed back in Nov. 2003, however, the entire process has lagged on until now because I reaffirmed on my mtg and process could not proceed until I was caught up on arrears completely. With that done, I wondered how much longer things would carry on, but my atty is also licensed in another state and was unavailable this past week. I took matters into my own capable hands.

I'd read here about using VCIS, found the link for my district and voila! According to the digital voices (ergh), my case was discharged a few days ago on March 10, 2004. However, before it gives the discharge date, it gives STATUS as "awaiting closing". Color me confused. Can anyone clarify for me?

Also, see my next post in this Q & A section for a few other questions about purchases after bankruptcy. It's another reason I wonder about the difference between these two dates. Y'all always have the greatest advice. Heh. I don't always follow it, but it gives me perspective and more options to ponder. Thanks!

Once the court has officially issued you your discharge, the Trustee must file the proper paperwork to actually close the case. That is what the Status means. Most cases are officially closed within 30 days following discharge, but if the Trustee is backed up, it could take longer.

Give it 30 days and check back on the status. If its still not closed, contact the Trustee and ask about it.