What is a Judgement

Anonymus

Judgement is when the creditor sues you. Basically, they will take you to court, most likely win and once they get the judgement, they can garnish your wages, which in case you don't know is, deducting money from your paycheck monthly....

not worth it.... judgements are bad... you should avoid them any way you can

More than just garnishing your wages, a judgment also give the 'judgment creditor' the ability to have money taken dirrectly from your bank accounts until the amount is recovered. (It happened to me, but that's a story for another day).

Often you will read about judgments that are never collected. Possible, maybe even probable, but it's certainly not worth the risk, especially since the creditor can try to garnish wages or bank accounts immediately if they think they can actually recover. If you have an antagonistic relationship with the creditor, expect them to make a leat a couple of attempts to recoup their losses.

:arrow: Do not take the realistic possibility of a judgment lightly.

(By the way, if you're doing a 'net search on judgment issues, make sure you spell it with only one 'e'. Most people have a tendancy to spell it incorrectly.)

well heres the deal we stopped paying along time ago and all the lines were shown as chargeoffs and after a long time they finally stopped calling , then brillinat me went to ameridebt and started paying again thinking this is a good thing. after this sites help i stopped paying again. what are my chances of a judgement now? and will I have ample warning? id rather pay than a judgement.

I have to argue with you on that one, Fozzle. According to Merriam-Webster, "judgement" is an accepted variation. I only know this because it is my preferred spelling and people are always yelling at me for it :wink:

Ok, no yelling at you here! But if you enter judgment into a search engine, you'll get a lot more info than if you enter judgement, since judgment is what court documents and state statutes use (mostly)...

Anyway, Flex411, most likely the OC (or their CA) will contact you directly before taking any further action. If they want to take you to court to recover, and they have your correct address on file, you will be served with court papers long before a judgment/judgement :) is entered against you. If you are properly served, and don't file an answer to their complaint, the plaintiff will get a default judgment against you--which basically means you forfeited the case.

If there's something you didn't mention here, like a specific reason you think there's going to be a judgement against you, head it off at the pass. I had a judgment leveled against me for less than $600 -- yes that's six hundred -- by an OC, and the plaintiff enforced it in less than three weeks. What a mess.

it's not that i have any reason to think a judgement is on its way. I have been reading this site for about 3 months now, took advice to stop paying thru a third party credit counseling company and dispute with the cras then dv the companies. But now im finding out that the only one you can dv is the CA not the OC. So now im just so nervous becasue alot of theese lines are from oc's. And im also learning that CAD letters only work on CA. So now I have to rethink all my letters and not sure how to get OC lines off? Just very confused, and stressed now.