Sign in to follow this  
2004Fatboy

Question for the Experts Its a good 1!!

Have been reading alot on here and I thank you all for your information. Its a great site for people lost like I am. Here is my story Hope you can help.

First Im Shawn from Michigan. Nice to meet you to. (FICO Score 740)

My wife has some pretty bad credit. Not from spending to much or student loans or anything like that NO it just plan lazyness. I ran her report on MyFICO.com (with permission of course) and seen that she has unpaid Medical bills. TransUnion shows 13 and Experian shows 4. You'll love this TransUnion with 13 has her with a 632. Experian with 4 has 612?? Whats with that. Ok Ill move on. Out of the 13 the biggest dollar amount is $387 for a total of $1338. Now she had INSURANCE FOR ALL OF THESE!!! Ok now when the Insurance co didn't pay for some reason which they should have on all she was sent the bill and never called to say anything about it. I have had 3 different Insurance Company for these bills. 2 or from 97 and will fall off by the end of the year. The rest I need to take care of becaue I want to buy a house in the next year and will need her credit. My question is Can I have the IC still pay these bills?Do I need to contact the CA or the OC. Do I send a letter or call? Any help would be great. Can I get copies of the bills? Will they have to take them off if they are paid?

Thanks again,

Shawn

Welcome to the board!

That's a good question. I'm not sure how long an IC keeps their records for. I would assume it would be for a while.

What I would suggest is call the IC (BC/BS, I assume?) and see what can be done "behind the scenes" (ie: seeing what was paid, getting copies of the payment statements, etc.).

With that many collections, I can just picture you shaking a hornet's nest by going to the CA's or the medical facilities. They may suddenly become active on them, and then you'll wish you'd never brought it up.

Have been reading alot on here and I thank you all for your information. Its a great site for people lost like I am. Here is my story Hope you can help.

My wife has some pretty bad credit. Not from spending to much or student loans or anything like that NO it just plan lazyness. I ran her report on MyFICO.com (with permission of course) and seen that she has unpaid Medical bills. TransUnion shows 13 and Experian shows 4. You'll love this TransUnion with 13 has her with a 632. Experian with 4 has 612?? Whats with that. Ok Ill move on. Out of the 13 the biggest dollar amount is $387 for a total of $1338. Now she had INSURANCE FOR ALL OF THESE!!! Ok now when the Insurance co didn't pay for some reason which they should have on all she was sent the bill and never called to say anything about it. I have had 3 different Insurance Company for these bills. 2 or from 97 and will fall off by the end of the year. The rest I need to take care of becaue I want to buy a house in the next year and will need her credit. My question is Can I have the IC still pay these bills?Do I need to contact the CA or the OC. Do I send a letter or call? Any help would be great. Can I get copies of the bills? Will they have to take them off if they are paid?

Thanks again,

Shawn

I'd start disputing them with both the CRAs and the information furnisher simultaneously. Many unpaid medicals are just the care provider trying to double bill or trying to get the patient to pay for disallowed/discounted amounts. The first is just illegal, the second is a violation of their contracts with the insurance carriers. Both are usually easy to get off the reports. It's up to you if you want to start with "not-mine" as your dispute. If you start there and it gets verified, you just spent 45 days or so on it. If you know it'll be verified as hers, then maybe you should go right to disputing as double-billed/disallowed.

Each state has an insurance commision of some kind. If you have any of the original bills look for that info there. Or any current insurance bill for that matter will have it.

The more problems you can cause for the INSURER the better. Then tell the CRA or CA that it's in dispute with that authority.

Thanks again,

Shawn

I'd start disputing them with both the CRAs and the information furnisher simultaneously. Many unpaid medicals are just the care provider trying to double bill or trying to get the patient to pay for disallowed/discounted amounts. The first is just illegal, the second is a violation of their contracts with the insurance carriers. Both are usually easy to get off the reports. It's up to you if you want to start with "not-mine" as your dispute. If you start there and it gets verified, you just spent 45 days or so on it. If you know it'll be verified as hers, then maybe you should go right to disputing as double-billed/disallowed.

Agreeing with both Doc and Methuss. If it were me, I would start tomorrow by disputing them with the credit bureaus as either "not mine" or "have no knowledge of this acct." While I was waiting for the 30 days to be up, I would contact the IC and dig up all the info you can. That way, if they come back as "verified" you will have your ammo for the next round. In my experiance, my medical collections have been the easiest ones for me to get rid of . That is except for the current NCO hell I am going throught right now. :cry: But, for the most part I have disputed as "not mine" and they have fallen off without a fight. Alot of mine were with local, "no name" collectors. DO NOT contact the CA for any reason. If all else fails you might can use the Hipaa route, and if you have talked to the CA you have blown that option.

I can chime in with my experience as a Mortgage Broker dealing with Consumers Credit if I may. In my experience, we have found that when refinancing a consumer, they have medical bills in their credit reports that they werent aware of. All of these people are employed localy here with great health benefits. What we found out was that with the changes in HMO's etc, these turned out to be consumer or employee Co-Pays that werent paid at the time of service.

Our clients then went to their employer and complained about not being aware of these co-pays etc and they go from there.

Im curious if perhaps some of these smaller medical bills may have been co-pays from her health insurance? just a thought ^_^