OMG! Got the courage to answer phone. Here's how it went...

ceowens

The home phone rings a few minutes ago and it says "out of area". Normally I dont answer. But, I answered anyway. They ask for Charlie, which is my hubbys first name, but not the name he goes by (he goes by middle name). So, when anybody refers to him in the first name I know they don't know him. So, here goes the first call.

THEM: (in foreign accent): Is Charlie there.

ME: Sorry. There is no Charlie here.

Them: Is this number xxx-xxx-xxx?

Me:Yes

Them: And no Charlie lives there?

Me:No.

Them. Ok Mam. Sorry

So, I hang up and before I can even set the phone down My CELL phone starts to ring! Not my hubbys cell, but MINE! So, I wait for the caller ID to register. It doesnt. So, I answer. Its the same woman! OMG! I thought I was going to blow a gasket! My heart starts pounding out of my chest! I am instantly furious!

Them: Is Charlie there?

Me: Who is this?

Them: This is Kathy calling for Charlie. Are you her?

Me: No. Whate are you calling about?

Them. This is a personal business matter for Charlie. Is Charlie there?

Me: If you are a collection agency and I ask you who you are you have to tell me or you are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Who are you?

Them: (after silence). This is GE Capital calling for Charlie.

ME: Well, there is no Charlie here and you are costing me money by calling me on my cell phone which is also a violation of the FDCPA. Thats makes two so far. Dont you ever call this number again, understand?

Them: I'm so sorry mam. click.

God what bastards! My blood pressure nearly shot through the roof! I was practically screaming insane at the woman! I'm glad I answered, but I don;t know where the flood of emotion came from! :oops: I need to start practicing before I answer again. Anybody want to swap numbers and pretend playing collection agent with me?? :wink:

I have scoured all of mine and hubbys credit reports. I can't figure out how we are involved in any way with GE Capital. We have no TLs associated with them at all. Does anybody know who else GE Capital is involved with? I guess she could have been calling to offer "Charlie" a million dollar unsecured credit line and I just blessed her out! :shock:

I know GE Capital does financing for medical procedures through a lot of physicians.

I highly doubt they'll do a skip trace (getting the cell phone number) just to offer a line of credit (although I enjoyed your million dollar scenario - LOL).

I have scoured all of mine and hubbys credit reports. I can't figure out how we are involved in any way with GE Capital. We have no TLs associated with them at all. Does anybody know who else GE Capital is involved with? I guess she could have been calling to offer "Charlie" a million dollar unsecured credit line and I just blessed her out! :shock:

I haven't heard that term since I was a kid in NC. :D

I haven't heard that term since I was a kid in NC. :D

Well, it must be southern thang since I'm down here in SC. :D And, I just figured out how we are involved with GE Capital. Hubby financed some new carpet with one of those 12 month no payment no interest deals. And, next month the first payment is due. I bet she was just calling to give him a friendly reminder! :shock: I still don't know where she got MY cell number from. Oh well. Guess she'll think twice before she calls it again. Shes probably just some poor customer service rep whose job it is to call up and remind folks of thier payments coming due and I just "cleaned her clock". :oops: I'm embarassed yet empowered! Sent out 2 ITS letters and probably made a customer service rep cry all in the same day! I'm on a roll! :twisted:

OK-That made me spit beer... Your causing alcohol abuse here... You've given them a limited C&D before your first payment was even due! ROTFLMAO!

:p

Sorry to make you waste good beer. Have another on me! xbeer2) I can't help it. This new found credit knowledge has gone to my head. I was just waiting to unleash it on someone. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! :lol:

Hey where in SC are you? I am in SC also.

That was classic what you did. I remember the first time I did something similar, just totally left them speachless.

Upstate, near Greenville. You know I can't reveal my exact location for fear that GE Capital has the men in white looking for the maniac that verbally assaulted thier employee yesterday. :wink: I think Nevermore is from SC too. Where are you two from?

Me: If you are a collection agency and I ask you who you are you have to tell me or you are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Who are you?

ME: Well, there is no Charlie here and you are costing me money by calling me on my cell phone which is also a violation of the FDCPA. Thats makes two so far. Dont you ever call this number again, understand?

That's great....not only is she annoying....she's not a very bright collector. By telling you she was calling from a collection agency to 'avoid violating the FDCPA,' she was actually violating the FDCPA.

The FDCPA specifies that a debt collector is not allowed to communicate about that debt with anyone other than the debtor in any way shape or form.

So, Charlie should send them a letter specifying that he's going to sue them for telling someone else that he owes them money, which is a violation of the FDCPA. ;)

Monte

BrassFan: I don't think the woman from GE ever said she was a debt collector. As ceowens said, she was probably just a woman from customer service whose job it is to gently remind those that have those no-payment-for-X-amount-of-months plans (I think those things are deadly) that their first payment is about to come due. I can imagine it's so easy for people to forget after a year, sometimes two or three, that they entered into a delayed installment agreement. The woman from GE, if she does work in customer service and not the collection department, probably never deals with the FDCPA and might not have even known what the OP was talking about. Poor woman...she probably got off the call and said to her co-workers, "I just had the oddest conversation..." :)

ceowens: Any chance your DH listed your cell phone on his loan app? DHs are known to do goofy things like that. :wink:

I manage a fleet of vehicles for work. Mostly all financed through GE Capital. These guys are generaly involved in business capital purchases. Was he involved in his own business? Otherwise I would be surprised that they are involved with typical personal finance issues and purchases.

I manage a fleet of vehicles for work. Mostly all financed through GE Capital. These guys are generaly involved in business capital purchases. Was he involved in his own business? Otherwise I would be surprised that they are involved with typical personal finance issues and purchases.

Surprise! They do consumer as well as commercial lending-as most lenders do. That is their business after all.

:wink:

J

That's great....not only is she annoying....she's not a very bright collector. By telling you she was calling from a collection agency to 'avoid violating the FDCPA,' she was actually violating the FDCPA.

The FDCPA specifies that a debt collector is not allowed to communicate about that debt with anyone other than the debtor in any way shape or form.

So, Charlie should send them a letter specifying that he's going to sue them for telling someone else that he owes them money, which is a violation of the FDCPA. ;)

Monte

Hey! I never thought about it that way, but you are exactly right! Only problem is that she wasnt a CA because the 1st payment isnt due until next month. I just completely caught her off guard! But, I am going to remember this because sooner or later I'm going to get to use it! :D

BrassFan: I don't think the woman from GE ever said she was a debt collector. As ceowens said, she was probably just a woman from customer service whose job it is to gently remind those that have those no-payment-for-X-amount-of-months plans (I think those things are deadly) that their first payment is about to come due. I can imagine it's so easy for people to forget after a year, sometimes two or three, that they entered into a delayed installment agreement. The woman from GE, if she does work in customer service and not the collection department, probably never deals with the FDCPA and might not have even known what the OP was talking about. Poor woman...she probably got off the call and said to her co-workers, "I just had the oddest conversation..." :)

ceowens: Any chance your DH listed your cell phone on his loan app? DHs are known to do goofy things like that. :wink:

Actually, if you could have heard the tone and volume of voice I was using with her, she probably got off the phone and ran to the bathroom crying. :shock::oops: And, yes, DH probably did use my cell on the app since our numbers are only 1 digit apart. Oh well. There's no way that particular CSR will ever call any of the numbers on the app again. She'll probably suffer past traumtic stress disorder every time our numbers pop up on her computer screen! :wink:

Yeah. He's a contractor. Financed the carpet on a house he built thinking the house would sell and the account would be paid off before the first payment came due. House still on the market. Damned real estate! :?

It's so funny how these CA's call and ask for my hubby! They always ask for him by his first name, and I ask what it's regarding and they say this is shiela or whatever looking for my Hubby.

Now when they call and ask for him by first name, we roleplay about his ongoing affairs and how I'm leaving him all while holding the phone lol. I have told them a thousand times his name is Mr. so and so and DO NOT CALL HIM BY HIS BIRTH NAME! They always do anyway, and now he gets on the phone playing it that I just took the kids and left etc.... They dont care they continue to call lol. Putzzez