DHK

Non-ChexSystems Banks &/or Credit Unions (Master Thread)

I thought I'd start a post for a one-stop source for banks and/or credit unions that do NOT use Chexsystems for opening new deposit accounts.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any myself. I would hope that others will find this forum and chime in their experiences.

I am told from CreditNet that Compass Bank in TX uses Telecheck, not Chexsystems.

http://www.compassweb.com

Any others out there?

BTW, if you notice that your "probation" on Chexsystems is coming to an end (5 years is up):

Find a bank or credit union you want to do business with. Have them call Chexsystems for you. They will pull a Chex Inquiry and find out if you still have a negative record with Chex or not.

The key is: HAVE ONLY ONE INSTITUTION CHECK YOUR CHEX REPORT!

The reason is similar to applying for credit. The more inquiries, the more risk. HOWEVER, if all your inquiries are with ONE institution, they have their own records on how many accounts they opened for you, etc.

Chex inquiries stay on record for 6 months. So, if you don't like the institution that you're banking with, you can change in 6 months without any issues with chexsystems.

The risk is: People who open multiple accounts in a short period of time could be setting up their own bank network to kite checks back and forth. This is why Union Bank closed my accounts on me. I had too many inquiries at the time: 3 Umbrella Bank, 2 Wescom Credit Union, 1 Wells Fargo Bank, 2 Union Bank themselves then 2 for Bank of America. (I was opening up a business account with them, but now I'll never do business with them again - even after meeting with the bank manager).

How do inquiries work with Chex Systems?

I have been wondering about that becuase I have recently opened up three bank accounts with three different credit unions in the past 90 days. Although the last one was solely a savings account (although they still had to check with Chex Systems for the savings account).

I have to open something up with a credit union in order to become a member. And most cases, I have to be a member in order to apply for a loan.

I intend on getting another loan soon with a different and new credit union, hence I will have to open up another checking account. How will this "additional" inquiry impact me with Chex Systems.

Will a new credit union or bank be flagged that I have recently opened up a few bank accounts recently?

How do inquiries work with Chex Systems?

I have been wondering about that becuase I have recently opened up three bank accounts with three different credit unions in the past 90 days. Although the last one was solely a savings account (although they still had to check with Chex Systems for the savings account).

I have to open something up with a credit union in order to become a member. And most cases, I have to be a member in order to apply for a loan.

I intend on getting another loan soon with a different and new credit union, hence I will have to open up another checking account. How will this "additional" inquiry impact me with Chex Systems.

Will a new credit union or bank be flagged that I have recently opened up a few bank accounts recently?

First, the banks (or CU) won't know what accounts you've already opened. They will just know that you've had a few inquiries. Financial insitutions MUST assume that you have opened accounts with the companies that inquired on your Chex record.

Chex inquiries are listed for the past 6 months.

The red flags occur when you have multiple inquiries from multiple institutions. The reason it is not good is because we (the bank) won't know if you're planning to "kite checks" back and forth between your different accounts. It's a question of risk.

Kiting checks is when you purposefully write checks off an account that does not have the funds to cover it. If you are given immediate credit on the worthless funds, you write another check off this account to another account. You finally put the money back in the original account before the check bounces. It's a way that crooks use to fraud the bank of TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars (if done well).

This is why multiple inquiries are a red flag as well as why we place lots of holds during the first 30 days of your account opening.

IMO, I wouldn't do any more than 3 inquiries from different institutions during any 6 month period - just to be on the safe side. Otherwise, your accounts could be closed due to too many inquiries.

Just like to add that I pulled my ChexSystems report and the only thing on it was an inq from 1/2003. I disputed (by mail) and they added 2 more identical inq's for 6/2004!

In their response to me they provided the name and phone # for their contact at the bank. I called and explained I wanted the inq deleted due to privacy issues and let him know that 2 more inq's were added. He assured me that any inq regarding his institution would be removed.

He kept his word.

So, ChexSystems doesn't necessarily keep them on for only 6 months.

I just opened a checking account with Woodforest National Bank in Texas. They have a "Second Chance Checking Account" where no credit check or chex check is done. It costs $50 to open the account, a $9.00 set-up fee, $9.95 per month without direct deposit, $5.95 per month with direct deposit, and you can get a debit card with at $12.00 annual fee. They also offer savings account overdraft protection and a credit reporting secured credit card that is tied to your savings account. If you are in need of these services, check them out at www.woodforest.com

:)++ I just opened a checking account with ASI FCU they use EQ I emailed 50 banks in my area ((LOUISIANA)) to see which companies they use, here is a list of few and I will add more to the list as soon as I get the replys back from the banks..

Non ChexSystems Banks

ASI Federal Credit Union - EQ

Hancock Bank - Big 3

Fidelity Homestead Association - Telecheck

Metairie Bank & Trust - Eport & Telecheck

Parish National Bank - EQ

Banks that definately use ChexSystems

Fifth District Savings Bank

United Bank & Trust

AmSouth Bank

Fidelity Homestead Association

First Bank & Trust Company

Bank One/Chase

Hope this will help some of you..

xdancex

This applies to everyone in Southern California:

Banks that do use Chexsystems

Bank of America

Wells Fargo

BPPR (Banco Popular)

Union Bank of California

US Bank

PFF Bank & Trust

This bank does not use Chex System International Bank is Basically

http://www.netspend.com

Customer Service

Toll-free: 1-86-NETSPEND between 8AM-10PM CST, Monday through Friday and 8AM-8PM CST, Saturday and Sunday.

customerservice@netspend.com

NetSpend Corporation

PO Box 2136

Austin, TX 78768-2136

Fax: (512) 857-0263

Basically you can call them and find out where the nearest place to sign up. They have places at Check Cashing facilities. You are issued a Prepaid Debit Card MC/Visa at that moment good until your new card arrives. You are able to put money in the Savings or the Checking of this card. You get something like 3% on money in savings acct. https://www.netspend.com/info/pr2006-10-09.shtml

You have online acct you set up and you can move money from the Checking to the savings in order to get a bigger return. Also, you can do direct deposit. The Bank Issued is called International Bank and they will give you the routing number when you set up your acct etc.

I really like it. I really am trying to OPT out on traditional ways of doing business. I'm really upset to find my bank closed my acct without telling me I didn't know until I went to the bank (WASHINGTON MUTUAL) I had banked there for like 4 years and they claimed it was FRAUD. Well I don't really need them as i have another credit union acct so it will be on my record for at least 4 more years that's so not fair.

However, http://www.netspend.com does not ask for all that info and it doesnt' go on your credit. You can do bill pay. they send you a TEXT message with your bank balance so you don't go over. If banks like Well Fargo, Wash Mutual didn't want people to go over on their accts they would send text messages or not allow your acct to be in overdraft but they make millions if not billions of dollars on overdraft charges.

I think a lot of people in the future will OPT out because of whatever reasons and go with Prepaid services that allow so much more ways of doing business fairly. they do charge a fee to use atm, etc but it's ok. Well worth it.

Wachovia gave me a checking account with no problem. I did go to woodforest but those fees are outrageous. I am listed with checksystems and scan and don't know if wachovia doesn't check those things . If they pull credit they should have turned me down since my scores are mid 400s

Wachovia gave me a checking account with no problem. I did go to woodforest but those fees are outrageous. I am listed with checksystems and scan and don't know if wachovia doesn't check those things . If they pull credit they should have turned me down since my scores are mid 400s

I opened Wachovia online and I had to call in to verify info. It was quick, he ran his consumer reports (2) and that was that. I am on chexsystems but he didn't say anything.

The only bad thing is that there isn't a Wachovia close to me. Closest is SF. So I'm not sure what to do.

I also got a wachovia account - nearly fell over xThudx since I havent had a checking account in about 4-5 years. they pull TU. my scores were mid 500's.... I don' know if I was approved based on scores or the two CA's that are listed for my one bad check aren't listed on TU.

I'm on Chex and was approved for a checking account with Bank of America. They pulled a report from TU and never said anything about my Chex but did have to have me verify who I was since I have a fraud alert on my CR.

Nope, one of mine was reporting on Chexsystems as early as last year Nov. I don't care what they are going by, I got my new checking account and I'm happy. I was thinking that it's maybe because I have a secured card with them, only way this whole thing makes sense.

BoA helped. They only check your credit report which for us was TU...APPLY ONLINE!!!!!!

If you are in South Texas... Texas Champion Bank does not use ChexS...

but First National Bank of Texas DOES use ChexS or at least they say on their website in Texas.

It was awful being in that situation about 2 months ago. Getting off that evil ChexS was such a darn relief. I wish every1 the best.

But thank goodness for BankofAmerica during our troubled time, till we were able to move on to a Credit Union without that junk hanging over our heads.

(good people do make mistakes) but most Banks could care less...

Not sure if it's still the case, but when I opened my account at US Bank in 2004 they "forgave" those who were on ChexSystems as long as it there wasn't anything on there from their bank.