Paid EXs judgement...did I have to?

ceowens

I havent thought about this in a while. But, being on this board makes me think of all the credit related thinkg I've done and now I wonder if I screwed up. One that is bothering me today is this.......

When EX and I divorced I got the house and he got ALL the cars (including mine) since they were all in his name exclusively. He didnt need 3 cars so he voluntarily let my car be repossessed. (This should give you some insight to his mental capacity and the reason for our divorce. :shock: ) But, I digress...... I re-married and went to get a new loan on the house to get it in mine and new hubbys name and to get EX off deed. When it came time to close and they searched title a judgement was on the property for $8000....the difference between the auction of the car and what EX owed. The only way to close was to pay off the judgement. I paid it. At the time I was most concerned about my house and getting that out of EXs name at all costs. Now, I look back and wonder if I could have gotten out of that somehow. I guess there would have been no fast fix that would have let me proceed to closing. But, in hindsight, I got screwed big time! I miss my $8000. :cry: What should I have done differently?

How long ago did you pay the debt???

This is water long under the bridge. We paid it in 1999 and have since sold the house and moved on. It's just one of those things that sits in the back of my mind and occassionaly rears it's ugly head to remind me that I got screwed! :evil:

If it was in the divorce decree that he take responsibility for the cars, can't you go after him for the money? (assuming he has any)

I'm guessing that I probably could. But, I have to weigh what it would cost to get a good lawyer.....and then to get a judgement that he wont ever pay. I'd just be out more money and mental energy. :( He's such a turdhead anyway. It just gripes my rear when I think of the crap he did. But, hey, he's probably getting his anyway from all the CAs after him. I hope he rots in credit hell and never finds this board. :D

HAHAHA! HEY! I was just thinking-does anyone WORK around here or what? Or are you at work and being sneaky? LOL.

Actually I'm on vaca. but vacation at the families house really isn't vacation, so there you go. I'm stuck here at my moms right now and its raining and gross (I'm in Oregon) and I want to hit the malls soooo bad!

HAHAHA! HEY! I was just thinking-does anyone WORK around here or what? Or are you at work and being sneaky? LOL.

Actually I'm on vaca. but vacation at the families house really isn't vacation, so there you go. I'm stuck here at my moms right now and its raining and gross (I'm in Oregon) and I want to hit the malls soooo bad!

I was just sitting here wondering what time it was in Japan?? But you're home! Might give you time to pursue that Fingerhut issue. Wasn't there some issue you couldnt resolve long distance? As for work.....how dare you! :wink: I have 4 kids ages 2 to 12. Trust me, I work. I just don't get to leave the house to do it. :)

HAHAHA! HEY! I was just thinking-does anyone WORK around here or what? Or are you at work and being sneaky?

I'm working...

Actually I work from home or I'm traveling for work. We are fighting with lawyers before doing a major software implementation that i am the proj. mgr for. So until we get the lawyers outta the way, I'm 'working' from home. I was going to 'work' from universal studios today but it rained... I think i will try 'working' from universal tomorrow...

J

Did you ever think that you could write off the $8k on your taxes as a capital loss*? I'd say that your Ex defrauded you out of the money.

<Shrug>

*most people don't know you can write off losses for things such as your car being wrecked in an accident or someone stealing money from you. You only get a fraction of the actual loss, but when nothing else will do, it's better than nothing.

HAHAHA! HEY! I was just thinking-does anyone WORK around here or what? Or are you at work and being sneaky?

I'm working...

Actually I work from home or I'm traveling for work. We are fighting with lawyers before doing a major software implementation that i am the proj. mgr for. So until we get the lawyers outta the way, I'm 'working' from home. I was going to 'work' from universal studios today but it rained... I think i will try 'working' from universal tomorrow...

J

I'm so sorry that your life has taken this tragic turn. :cry:

Did you ever think that you could write off the $8k on your taxes as a capital loss*? I'd say that your Ex defrauded you out of the money.

<Shrug>

*most people don't know you can write off losses for things such as your car being wrecked in an accident or someone stealing money from you. You only get a fraction of the actual loss, but when nothing else will do, it's better than nothing.

Oh cool! Thanks Methuss! Going to call the CPA now! :D

I'm so sorry that your life has taken this tragic turn. :cry:

I've actually been pretty bored. And I've been home for 4 weeks solid. Very unusual for me. I think my wife is looking for me to travel again.. :wink:

Home next week then the travel starts up again so you all will have me around until then... :shock:

J

J, tell your wife I know how she feels, I'm so used to DH being gone, if he's home any longer than 3 weeks, I start going bonkers :shock:

Weve been married for going on 13 years... but since the wedding day... more like about 8 or 9... LOL

And its all cool with me.. I totally understand... we all need our space!