Ford reporting 30 days even if paid by phone before 30 days

Tammy

DH and I are trying to get our credit in order to buy a house and we were almost there. We tend to pay Ford late but not 30 days. We make sure we call it in before the 30 days. DH is a contractor and the payment due date just falls in the wrong time frame. After pulling our credit report through PG I started looking at late pays for Ford and realized Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb all show 30 days. I call Ford and they said,

Ford:were you calling the Ford Pay line?

Me: Yes, the # we have always called.

Ford: Well, we have a new # and have had it since November. We still accept payments through the old # but it takes longer to post.

Me: So even though I called it in before the 30 days, it shows late?

Ford: Yes. It's just like if you were to mail it in, we post it when it is received. So when you called it into the old #, it will post on our system when we receive it, which is usually 5 to 7 days after you called it in.

Me: No one notified me of the changed #.

Ford: It's on your statement.

Me: I have my statement here and I don't see it.

Ford: It's on the back.

Me: In the shaded print? Nobody looks at the back of their statement.

Ford: Well, it's there. You know, your payment is due on the due date, not 25 days later.

Me: I realize that, which is why we pay late fees but you reporting it as 30 days is not acceptable when we called it in in time. Besides, anytime Ford calls, they have never told us of the new number.

Ford: January doesn't show late.

Me: Yes it does. I have my credit report right here and it shows January as 30 days with Experian.

Ford: I seriously doubt that.

Me: Supervisor please.

The supervisor was pretty rude and basically told me, too bad and if I dispute, they will verify. I did ask what good a confirmation number does and he said, to just show you made the payment and when. I said, well then our confirmation will show you when it was made and he told me but they go by when it posted, which is 7 days later! UGH!!! No one told us this!

Now what? How will this affect our purchasing a house?

Bump...

Does anyone know if this could keep us from financing a home?

Do I just dispute with the CRA?

Thanks to anyone for help.

I would get ALL NICE on the phone first-with a different manager.. and tell them whats what... You pay the bill every month. It would be better if they changed the due date and if you can, offer to make an extra payment to get the due date you want. Of course, also ask that they remove all the lates at the same time... ask for a short email from them saying they will remove the lates and change the due date... Cant hurt to ask... Get a real letter if you can but I would get whatever I can from them.. A faxed letter.. anything in writing. They need to send you written confirmation changing the due date so I would piggy back onto that the clearing of the late notices to 'paid as agreed'.

And to answer your question---yes.. those lates hurt your scores so that jeopordizes your lending options... Get those lates turned around...

J

Talked to Ford Credit and they said, it's not Ford's fault, they put the new number on the back of the statement and that's it.

They also told me that they are in violation of the FDCPA and FCRA if they tell the CRA to change a 30 day late to paid on time and they don't give a reason such as ...applied to wrong account or accounting error.

I told them it was an accounting error and they told me it wasn't and they legally can't take off a 30 day late from the CRA.

omg. This sounds like a huuuge pain in the butt. This might set you back a little on your mortgage rate because of such recent lates...it'll look like you can't keep up with bills right now.

Personally, I would find out who I could contact via Planetfeedback and see if that would work.

If they tell you to go screw yourself again, I would talk to a lawyer. I mean, really, if that pay line doesn't work like it should, then it shouldn't be a pay line!!!!!! You have confirmation numbers showing when you paid it....they should use that.

What huuuuge jerks. :evil:

Bump...

Does anyone know if this could keep us from financing a home?

Do I just dispute with the CRA?

Thanks to anyone for help.

A 30 day late within 6 months of a credit app will lower your score by 20-40 points.

If you have bank records indicating the payment was made before the 30 day late would kick in, you can tell Ford that it is an FCRA violation to report inaccurate payment history. Show your proof and let them know it could cost them $1000 per credit report if they refuse to change it.

Ive seen some lenders do this when their computer system doesn't go by actual days, but by nearest due date. For example, your due date is the 15th, but that's a Sunday, so their computer figures it is late if received after 3pm on the 13th -- the last available time to do a transaction with the bank before the weekend. It's BS, because the FCRA doesn't give them the leeway to do this. 30 days is 30 days, not 28 and a half.

Talked to Ford Credit and they said, it's not Ford's fault, they put the new number on the back of the statement and that's it.

They also told me that they are in violation of the FDCPA and FCRA if they tell the CRA to change a 30 day late to paid on time and they don't give a reason such as ...applied to wrong account or accounting error.

I told them it was an accounting error and they told me it wasn't and they legally can't take off a 30 day late from the CRA.

Yep, sounds like you're dealing with some real bastards. Try Planetfeedback....and make it sound really bad too! :evil: I know it's no consolation, but Honda credit did the same thing to my mom. She is a teacher, gets paid on the 25th of the month, then was going online to pay for her car and it wasnt being credited until after 30 days late. And they had ZERO sympathy for her either.

Basically, they said they notified us by posting the number on the back of the statement. But the notice just said, to pay by phone, call.... We have their # on speed dial and since it didn't say, our number has changed.... We didn't think of checking the number we have on speed dial and the number they put on the statement.

Also, they said that when you pay by phone on the old #, it doesn't post on the day you pay, it posts when they receive it from Western Union, which is 5 to 7 days later or more.

Ford also said they changed the pay by phone number specifically because of Western Union's problems with getting Ford the payment in a timely manner.

So all of you out there who pay anything by phone, make sure it gets posted the day you call it in. You need to be especially aware of this if it is done by an automated system.

They also told me the January payment doesn't show late. But on our credit report both online and the one I received in the mail 2 days ago, it shows January as 30 days late. Basically Ford called me a liar when I told them it showed as 30 days on DH credit report. Their actual words when I said January shows 30 days late on his credit report were..."I seriously doubt that ma'am."

Huge jerks indeed -- why don't they try putting a message on the phone number itself that says, "If you want to make a payment, and you want it to post on time, call this other number."?

You might make it easier on yourself in the future if you called and got your due date changed.

You want to go right to the top with this, try writing to this guy:

Greg C. Smith, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Ford Credit, and Group Vice President, Ford Motor Co.

One American Road

Dearborn, Michigan. 48126

Dear Mr. Smith,

My DH and I have a loan through you. Because our due date falls before my husband's pay day, we are almost always late with our payments, but not 30 days late. We always pay by phone and we willingly pay the late charges, because we realize we are paying after the due date, but we always pay before the next payment is due, so the paymant is never 30 days late.

Imagine my chagrin when I looked at a copy of my credit report and found that your company was reporting us as 30 days late in November and December of 2003, as well as for January and February 2004. I just couldn't understand it -- again, I know we were late, which is why we always include the late fee in our payment, but we were not 30 days late.

I called your customer service department to find out what the problem was, and I was asked by the CSR if we were calling the Ford Pay line. I said that yes, we were calling the same number we have always called. The CSR told me that Ford has had a new number since November and that you still accept paymants made on the old number, but that they take longer to process and post. I told him that we had not been notified of any change in numbers and he replied that it was on the back of our statement. I asked if it was in the shaded print on the back, and why would it be there --- nobody reads the back of their statement every month.

He said, "Well, it's there. You know, your payment is due on the due date, not 25 days late," to which I replied, "I realize that, which is why we pay late fees, but your reporting it as 30 days late is not acceptable when we called it in in time. Besides, any time Ford calls, they have never told us of the new number."

He said, "January doesn't show late."

I said, "Yes, it does. I have my credit report right here and Experian is reporting January as 30 days late," whereupon he implied that I was a liar, at which point I asked for his supervisor.

The supervisor was rather rude and snotty and basically told me it was just too bad and that if I dispute the information with the credit bureaus, that they would verify that I was 30 days late. I asked him what the point of having a confirmation number was and he told me that it was to show that I had made a payment and when.

I said, "Well, then, I have a confirmation showing that the payment was made and when it was made and it was not 30 days late." He told me that they don't go by when the payment was made, but by when it was posted, which is seven days or so later.

I don't understand this. Why were we not notified of the new number in a way that was designed to make sure we saw the information? I would bet that you don't read the back of every statement you receive every month. Wouldn't it be a simple matter to have a recording on the old number that there is a new number to pay by phone, and that while we are free to still use this old number, it will take longer for the payment to post?

Every month, we make a good faith attempt to make our payment before it is 30 days late. Again, it is very difficult for us to make the payment on time because of the way that my husband gets paid. Is it possible to get our due date changed so that we can actually make the payment on time? Also, I respectfully request that you remove these derogatory marks from our credit reports -- they resulted from an honest misunderstanding, not from our unwillingness to meet our obligations. If we had known there was a new number to call, of course we would have called it. Some of the responsibility for this mistake rests with your company, because you did not take steps to make it clear that paying through the old number would result in payments being posted later than they had before. I would deeply appreciate any help you can give me in this matter.

Regards,

Tammy

Well written.

If that fails, whip out the bank statement that shows the withdrawl date from your account, and if that is within the 30 day cut-off, get tougher with them. Show the proof. The FCRA doesn't say that what they report has to be "mostly accurate" or "sorta accurate." It says what they report must be accurate. If it isn't they are obliged under the law to fix the error or suffer the civil penalties.

Hey, getting $3k out of them for the FCRA violations would put your payments back on track, right?

Well written.

If that fails, whip out the bank statement that shows the withdrawl date from your account, and if that is within the 30 day cut-off, get tougher with them. Show the proof. The FCRA doesn't say that what they report has to be "mostly accurate" or "sorta accurate." It says what they report must be accurate. If it isn't they are obliged under the law to fix the error or suffer the civil penalties.

Hey, getting $3k out of them for the FCRA violations would put your payments back on track, right?

Well, DUH! xgeekx Why didn't I think of that? That makes so much sense! Quick, gather up all of your bank statements and see when these payments were withdrawn! Methuss is on to something here! :D