Dispute CA payment with VISA? ( Re: Really dumb mistake )

acurtis006

I settled for a "paid in full" with a CA on medical bills, got nothing in writing and gave them my Check card info to pull the payment out of my account. {yeah, I know.. that was BEFORE I found this site...}

The CA is NOT updating my CBR, (imagine!) and claiming the conversation never took place. I have DV'd them and waiting, but question: If I can't get a resolution, can I dispute the transaction with VISA? They don't have anything from me authoritzing it either.

If only I'd found this site earlier.....

I settled for a "paid in full" with a CA on medical bills, got nothing in writing and gave them my Check card info to pull the payment out of my account. {yeah, I know.. that was BEFORE I found this site...}

The CA is NOT updating my CBR, (imagine!) and claiming the conversation never took place. I have DV'd them and waiting, but question: If I can't get a resolution, can I dispute the transaction with VISA? They don't have anything from me authoritzing it either.

If only I'd found this site earlier.....

If it's a check card, then it came out of your checking account and you have a record of it, right? Send them something showing where they withdrew the funds, a cease and desist letter, and tell them to take a flying leap. As for them still reporting to the CRA. You may have screwed yourself by not getting it in writing. All you can do now is dispute it with the CRA and chalk it up to experience. Now you know what NOT to do. :wink:

It's a little late for DV at this point, but yes you could claim the withdraw was never authorized. What typically happens at this point is your bank will request that you complete a notorized affadavit (of theft) affirming the transaction was unauthorized. A police report may also be required in this circumstance. The liklihood of a potential criminal charge against you would be slim, but if the collector mysteriously comes up with evidence to the contrary such as a phone recording, you may have an even more serious problem on your hands. Visa has similar dispute requirements with respect to debit accounts.