Got first statement before I got my credit card!!???

ceowens

Just came from the mailbox. I have been waiting for my Chevron card to arrive, so when I see the Chevron envelope I got all excited. I ripped it open to find a BILL! WTF? I havent even received my card and welcome kit yet, but they send me the first bill? And, with a $30 balance for the "annual fee" and with $30 as the minimum due! Now, when I applied I was denied for the standard Chevron card, but they offered me the credit builder and asked for a $30 check in advance. So, I have already sent them 1 check for $30 (and it has cleared my bank). Now they want another??? What was the first $30 for???? I tried the 1-800 number, but of course, nobody is there on weekends. AHHHHG! Basically they are asking me to send in $60 to get a $300 CL in return. And, obviously they want it up front before I am getting my card. This is a total PITA considering there isnt even a Chevron remotely close to me! $60 for a sock drawer card? Geez Louise!

You should really consider yourself lucky...

Sixty clams for a $300 card limit that is reported to all three CRAs.

Did you really expect somebody to do this for free? Especially if you do not have good credit in the first place?

I paid over $100 for my first credit card of a $400 limit.

When you are rebuilding your credit, you have to be fully prepared to bend over and get the chorizo. At least they are putting manteca on it...

You should really consider yourself lucky...

Sixty clams for a $300 card limit that is reported to all three CRAs.

Did you really expect somebody to do this for free? Especially if you do not have good credit in the first place?

I paid over $100 for my first credit card of a $400 limit.

When you are rebuilding your credit, you have to be fully prepared to bend over and get the chorizo. At least they are putting manteca on it...

Saying this with all due respect Ravenous since 1. you are a "credit expert" and 2. you are a ravenous wolf :wink: , but taking it up the chorizo in my divorce is what got my credit in the shape it is in today.

It's not that I am not grateful. But, it's a $300 gas card that was supposedly easy to get. :?: Others here with much lower scores than mine got it unsecured. I was able to get both Orchard and Household Gold unsecured with much higher limits as well. So, I am a little confused as to why they are bending me over. But, I am taking it, even if I am whining about it. I would just like to be able to physically touch the card I keep having to pay for. Let's just say I'm hypersensitive about the chorizo these days............

Yes, there are some people here that have gotten such cards with no money down and had it reported to all three CRAs.

That never happened to me.

I got bent over quite a few times. I had finance companies charging me 88 percent interest. Other ones like Wells Fargo Financial were charging me like 33 percent.

The worst part about finance companies is that the CRAs consider them to be negative accounts; they have a special field for them.

However, circumstances like a divorce, medical emergency, job separation, etc..., are terrible events that people have no control over. Some progress has been made about medical debts and a little bit about divorce but a lot more needs to be done.

Unfortunately, it will take time before you can get those nice unsecured cards with big limits and low interest. It took me years. Right now I have an unsecured MC from my credit union with a 10k credit limit at a single digit interest rate. I love it and I never ever want to go back to those high interest, fee happy credit cards again.

But it will take time. I have been in your situation before (although not due to divorce)...

Maybe they're just screwed up. I haven't heard any other complaints about the Chevron card. I'm still waiting on mine though, my check hasn't cleared my bank. After Monday, then you can find out what exactly's going on (I hate waiting for things until "weekdays" grr). I don't want to wait forever on this card either. I might call them on Monday just to check. Don't they have a status check like everyone else? I hope so, but I'll find out either way.

Tina, have you heard anything about Chevron yet? I never got around to calling them. I'm slightly distracted this week.

Yes, I called them. Apparently, they set your account up immediately upon approval. But they mail out the actual cards in batches. So, I am on the computer , and the computer dropped a statement, but my card is not set to go out until the April 2nd "batch" of cards. What a crock! But, the good news is......they fixed the $30 error. So, there is no double billing, it was just that they didnt enter my $30 check when they set up the account. She told me to trash the first bill. And, later I went to the online account and it showed a zero balance with no payment due. I'm happy now. :D