dv'd sherman, quick response

green card signed 3/22

letter from alegis 3/24

just got a letter from sherman subsidiary Alegis Group LP. they said the account in question was purchased by sherman and assigned to them.

at the top is the heading: Previous Creditor:OSI/Gulf State Credit-original

creditor

Current Creditor: Sherman Acquisitions II LP

Acct # xxxxxx

balance: xxxx

no one in the house recognizes the entity "gulf state credit" . does anyone here know who they are?

this tells me sherman does not know the original creditor, so cannot validate. am i correct?

OSI / GULF STATE is a collection agency / purchaser of bad debt who supposedly went bankrupt. They are not the original creditor, and Sherman is in violation of the FDCPA by stating they are (improper validation).

Do your part to take scum like this down. File your complaints with the FTC and your state Attorney General against Sherman for violation of the FDCPA

§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

Definitely file complaints on Sherman. The TX AG's online form is down until tomorrow, and then...they'll get my complaint. Already filed with the BBB and FTC. I think Sherman ranks along with RJM on nasty old debt buyers who violate all laws (Arrow is like the young version of these CA's). I'm trying to get Sherman off EQ right now, they're gone from the others already. On EQ, this one they happened to not re-age so it's almost at SOL already.

I'm surprised they actually answered your DV. They ignored both of mine.

Take Docs advice and try and take them down.

(sorry they just annoy me ;) )

i will file, but be patient...the sol is up on this debt the first of may. (4/99)

while the alleged debt was acquired in texas(4years) we are in iowa now(5 years). after i'm sure they can't take legal action, i'll drop the hammer.

with luck they will continue to supply me with violations. 8)

also// significant other says if this is debt she vaguely remembers, it was a cc sent unsolicited, activated by phone, and all charges are balance xfers by phone. no signature ever signed. ex hubby supposedly paid, but cannot verify. this was all b4 divorce.

my question for future reference is , if there was never a signature, how can this be validated?

Interesting. I got the same letter from Alegis Group after I DV'd Sherman. The letter said Sherman had placed the account with them for "servicing".....blah, blah,...."they were reponding to my recent inquiry and were investigating my claim." I ignored Alegis and continued my DV efforts to Sherman. I read somewhere that Alegis and Sherman were the same animal..Intend to file complaint with AG of Texas tomorrow. Should I DV Alegis Group? They are not on my CR..yet.

Yes, I know this now. Should I DV Alegis as well. My gosh, they have about a dozen companies they could just move the account around and around until I get dizzy and go away. Is that the plan? Should I continue to DV anyone from Sherman that sends me a notice?

Thanks Doc!

I think I can see thier plan is to make us dizzy enough to go away or pay up. However, I don't have the money to "pay up" or I would and I have nothing but time (I lost my sight in 1998, ergo all the bad debt plus a divorce-same year, can you believe?!) so I'm not going away! And... I'm terribly stubborn! It's a waste of their time, as it is outside the SOL in Texas anyway. I have a letter going out to BOTH Sherman and Alegis this week pointing out that fact. :D

I posted a while ago. I had "4" collections for the same Sprint account. Sprint, Gulf State (twice), and Sherman.

I have DV'd Gulf and never got anything back from them. Here is the info that Equifax gave me on them:

GulfState Credit

PO Box 105460

Atlanta, GSA. 30348-5460

800-425-0006

Sent Gulf state a settlement offer if they can provide proof. I have been concentrating on Sherman & RMA I didn't even realized they are no longer on my report until this morning when I looked. Come to think about it, they have been gone for a while. YES! :D

DV'd Sherman a while back, got 2 letters from them 3/30/04 via Alegis which reads:

Previous Creditor : Tiad/Southwestern Bell

Current Creditor: Sherman Acquisition LP

Acct #xxxxxxxxxxxx (2 different #s)

Balance xxxx (2 different amonuts)

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the status of the above referenced account and your affiliation with Alegis Group LP(my affiliatio?). (first of all, I didn't DV them about Southwerstern it was Sears. Secondly my inquiry was to Northland Group months ago on this particular account and they never responded morons! :x ) This account was purchased by Sherman Acquisitions LLC from Triadvantage (I have never heard of them, they have never been on my CR) on September 22, 2001 and is currently being serviced by Alegis Group LP.

The current balance reflected on this account is $xxx. This account was charged off on Feb 23, 2000. The original application or itemized statement requested is not avaliable

If we can be of further assistance, please contact one of our Customer Service Representitives toll-free at 1-888-665-0374

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department

Alegis Group LP

This communication is from a debt collector. This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Ok here is the funny part to me....The original application or itemized statement requested is not avaliable. If you can't prove to me this is indeed my debt how can you come after me for it? :x

Fortunately they are not on my CR but I'm going to send them a C&D letter and also add that if I see them on there without first validating I am suing!

Sherman is going to "get a failure to prove this is mine letter", give them 15 days and send them ITS if they are still there. In the mean while I'm going to send the letter to Equifax who according to them verified the account :!: really?