Sent Validation Letter, They responded.. same day

deseyer

Ok I sent in the validation letter and got this in response.. now not sure where to go from here?

Re: Letter of Dispute

Our office has received your recent letter of dispute, please find the attached statement of account from Medical Group for medical service provided to your minor child My Child's Name. You should please note that your "letter of dispute" is grossly incorrect, this office DOES NOT have to "prove up" to you, or any one else, a contract between our office and our client. You should also be aware that, effective April 2003, the state of California enacted a law that prohibits any person, otehr than the actual patient, from obtaining any other medical information, you will have to show your identification to the provider to obtain any more information. There was no insurance provided to bill on your behalf, therefore the balance is your responsibility.

This is a valid account and this debt is still outstanding.

Please contact our office regarding payment options of the account.

This attachment does hereby fulfill our burden of debt verification.

Thank You

Bakersfield Credit Control Service - Office Manager

The attachment consisted of a document that looks like a billing printout with information about what the visit was for... it has a Last aging date of : 11/01/00, review date of 4/26/00 and last per pay 05/02/00 .. hmm well not very sure of that date...

Needless to say... the letter sounds like Office Manager is a lil ticked.

What are my options?

Des

If the printout looks like it came off their computers, report them to the FTC and your state Attorney General for violation of the FDCPA.

§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

Well...

For 1.. I don't recall ever getting anything from them in the mail about this collection. It's pretty old now.

2. I sent them validation letter.. without having heard from them because I honestly had no idea what it was for....

3. The printout .. I don't know where it came from, however it has a printout date of 11/03/00.

I haven't a clue how to proceed.

I think I have 1 month before SOL in California is out, however I can't be sure when that started ....

What's even more interesting is that all I have is the name of the original creditor, no address nothing... and of course the request for me to contact them regarding payment.

Any ideas?