ATTORNEY GENERAL COLLECTING PART 2

jendev123

ATTORNEY GENERAL COLLECTING :evil: .... Okay so my defaulted student loan is now being handled by the albany state attorney general. Keep in mind that this defaulted loan is no longer listed on my credit report... hasn't been in a very long time... I believe it fell off after 7 years... Anyway, this morning, made a payment plan with attorney general to pay this loan off, Because as you know, the SOL doesn't apply to student loans. The ATTORNEY GENERAL stated that they would only have reported this account to the CRA's if they would have placed a judgment on this account... QUESTION... CAN THIS OLD STUDENT LOAN RE-AGE ON MY CREDIT FILE BY THE ORIGINAL PERKINS STUDENT LOAN DEPT... keep in mind that it was originally deleted because the 7 years was up...

P.S. I'm a fighter when it comes to credit repair... However, when dealing with student loans and the attorney generals... it's a whole different playing field... I believe my options had ran out... I had no other alternative but to settle... Besides, rather settle than to have a judgment placed on my credit file! What do you all think!

ATTORNEY GENERAL COLLECTING :evil: .... Okay so my defaulted student loan is now being handled by the albany state attorney general. Keep in mind that this defaulted loan is no longer listed on my credit report... hasn't been in a very long time... I believe it fell off after 7 years... Anyway, this morning, made a payment plan with attorney general to pay this loan off, Because as you know, the SOL doesn't apply to student loans. The ATTORNEY GENERAL stated that they would only have reported this account to the CRA's if they would have placed a judgment on this account... QUESTION... CAN THIS OLD STUDENT LOAN RE-AGE ON MY CREDIT FILE BY THE ORIGINAL PERKINS STUDENT LOAN DEPT... keep in mind that it was originally deleted because the 7 years was up...

P.S. I'm a fighter when it comes to credit repair... However, when dealing with student loans and the attorney generals... it's a whole different playing field... I believe my options had ran out... I had no other alternative but to settle... Besides, rather settle than to have a judgment placed on my credit file! What do you all think!

I'm going to assume that since it fell off after 7 years, that you wont see it again. That is, unless you default on the agreement with the AG and they get a judgement against you. But, thats one persons opinion......

There's no such thing as an "albany state attorney general." There is a New York State Attorney General, but if it's highly unlikely they'd be collecting on a Perkins Loan, unless they're doing it in their spare time. If memory serves, there was an Albany State College, but they would have a Provost, not an attorney general. Check the address and phone number to make sure you're not being jerked around.

Attorneys General will most certainly step in for a defaulted student loan.

This is what can happen if you default on a government loan:

1) Report default to the CRAs

2) Refer account to a CA

3) Add collection costs

4) Garnish your wages

5) Seize your federal income tax refund

6) Lose eligibility for future federal student loans

7) Loan can be subrogated to the USDoE for referral to the Department of Justice for litigation and/or seizure of assets - this is where the Attorney General gets involved.