AMEX American Express Risk Management SOL Question

Hi all,

here is the background:

I worked for a company that had an American Express Corporate Plantinum card. I was added as an authorized user and had a card issued to me that was in the name of the company with my name below that.

I used the card exclusively for business purposes.

There were several corporate cards issued in various employees names all as authorized users and one card issued to an officer of the company who was the guarantor.

In 1999 the company went into bankruptcy and was wound up. The account balance was very high when the company was wound up.

The guaranteeing officer was pursued by Amex and heard, through the grapevine, that he declared bankruptcy.

Recently I have been getting calls on my telephone (have not spoken to them) from Risk Management. I called back the number after hours and got a voice mail saying it is "American Express Risk Management, Las Vegas facility"

I have also received a letter from them with smily faces on it and asking me to call for an important message, but haven't communicated in any way.

Now the questions:

My understanding is that I should not be liable for this account because I was an authorized user not a guarantor.

Also, the SOL (I'm in CA) should be up now anyway. 1999+4=2003

I have nothing on my CRA files from Amex or Risk Management. So they're not reporting anything on me.

So, do I send a C&D letter to the address the letter came from asking me to call for an important message?

Or, is their something else I should do? And if so, what exactly. I'm a newbie here and glad I found this site. It sounds like people here are very experienced in what to do.

Thanks in advance!

This is the thread in the collections forum for more info:

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14834

My question here is on the SOL issue. Do I have an SOL defense in this case and should I send a C&D letter to them referencing my dispute of responsibility for the corporate account as well as the SOL expiring?

Learjet,

This is what I would do if I were you. I would send RMA a DV letter (make sure you send it CMRRR), with a limited C&D (tell them they can only contact you in writing). Make them produce the documents that shows that you are liable, which I'm sure they can't because you were not an authorizing officer. I think they'll go away after this, and you've protected yourself in case they take you to court without answering your DV. If they do reply with documentations showing that you are liable (nothing short of an agreement signed by you to be personally liable), then you can explore the SOL issue.

Learjet,

This is what I would do if I were you. I would send RMA a DV letter (make sure you send it CMRRR), with a limited C&D (tell them they can only contact you in writing). Make them produce the documents that shows that you are liable, which I'm sure they can't because you were not an authorizing officer. I think they'll go away after this, and you've protected yourself in case they take you to court without answering your DV. If they do reply with documentations showing that you are liable (nothing short of an agreement signed by you to be personally liable), then you can explore the SOL issue.

Your plan sounds like it is the way to go. I will do it right away.

Thanks for the help!

Learjet,

Your plan sounds like it is the way to go. I will do it right away.

Thanks for the help!