MBNA Calling In Laws

OutOfTheFryingPan

Hi,

I have a $4000 charged off CC with MBNA. They called my Mother in law today in an attempt to get a hold of me. I have corresponded with them via mail, email and they have occasionally contacted me at work. Being the OC is it legal for them to do this when they have my address and a number where I can be contacted?

Thanks!!!

If it is truly charged off, then why is MBNA calling you at all? Are you sure it's not a CA calling on behalf of MBNA? They like to play sneaky that way.......

Good point. Actually it's been reaged and according to them it goes into CO status after today. Can they use these calling tactics?

MBNA is saying that they are going to charge it off if you don't pay by today? I guess they have every right to tell you that. Maybe they think you will pay it if they scare you. If you don't intend to pay them, then get ready to send DV letters to the CAs after they come crawling out from under the rocks.

Good point. Actually it's been reaged and according to them it goes into CO status after today. Can they use these calling tactics?

Woo Hoo.. let it go to a collector...Bring it on! But I think ceowens is right.. they are already a collector and are trying to scare you.

If in fact it was charged off by MBNA, well then, why would they care if you paid it? I mean they have already taken insurance and tax breaks due to the bad debt. I think your dealing with CA and they are in violation of the FDCPA.

At the very LEAST-send them a limited C&D tomorrow.. no more phone calls, no more email-written correspondence via USPS only.

Who are they? Whats on your CR? And regarding the call to your MIL, as long as they didnt divulage ANY information, then they can call. Once you find out they are a CA, if you can find out they are a CA, then hit them with a DV letter and a limited C&D. What state are you in? Any SOL issues here?

J

• 2 weeks later...

It was indeed mbna. I called the number they left me from a pay phone at work.

According to my CR it's now in CO status. I guess I will just weather the storm for now with whoever they assign it to for collections. I'm not worried about my CR. I've had my income drastically reduced and my CR is shot right now.

On a better note....I am mailing my final payment on a settlement with FUSA on monday. They settled for $2300 on a $9400 debt which comes to about 25 percent. One down 4 to go......

On a better note....I am mailing my final payment on a settlement with FUSA on monday. They settled for $2300 on a $9400 debt which comes to about 25 percent. One down 4 to go......

WHOA! Do you have in writing from them that they are going to make this a positive trade line? You dont want a paid collection account on your CR. Its as bad as an un-paid one. You want this to be changed from a collection account back to revolving, closed, paid as agrees and REMOVE all lates. That will do the most for you. If you cant get that, getting the collection account removed altogether is better than showing a paid collection account.

Dont pay them until you can make sure its going to help your CR... Remember this is going to stay on your report and hurt/help you for YEARS!!!!

jmo...

J