NoCal

Chexsystems help...

I have three dings on my Chexsystems report from Citibank, although it is only two accounts. The dings are for NSF. I tried to open a basic checking acct with Bank of America online and they did not accept because of Chexsystems. I called Citi to get the story and they said I owe $1100 (which is true). If I pay off the balance can I reopen an acct at Citi, or at another large bank? What's the story? I want to open a checking acct ASAP.

Shouldn't I have only two dings instead of three because it was only two accts?

NOCAL

Does it have to be with a major bank? How about checking out credit unions in your area? They tend to be more lenient because their existance thrives on membership. Plus, a lot of them don't have as many outrageous fees as the larger institutes (ie: Fifth Third charging $6 a day for each day your account is negative).

Most banks don't run ChexSystems on savings accounts. Not as good as checking obviously, but it's an option for you. If your name is indicative of your location, I would recommend finding a Washington Mutual. BoA sucks anyways.

Also only certain banks will open an account with a paid Chexsystems marker...and usually it has to be fairly old.

I would recommend finding a Washington Mutual. BoA sucks anyways.

I had the complete opposite experience with these two. When we moved to FL we opened a Wamu account. They put a hold on EVERY deposit-even my paychecks. When the paychecks went DD-they still held them. I was flabbergasted. I marched in there and demaded that they stop-so they did on the DD-but still every check was placed on hold-even cashiers checks. I had a come to jesus meeting with the branch manager the week before we were to close on the house when depositing the last of the funds (cashiers checks) we needed. I told her you can take these checks (it was like 2K against an account with 80k in it) and not place a hold on them or close all accounts and return my money to me, in cash. She did it, but not without looking at me like a dirty piece of cheese and 'harumping' the whole time. I closed all accounts there last week.

BofA here has been wonderfull. They are very friendly. It could be that the previous banks culture still prevails here and they havent been BoAed yet. But for now, they are awesome.

My .02

J

Yes, I really prefer a major bank, and a checking account. Do you think CITI would accept me for a new checking acct if I walk in and pay off the debt in person?

Hi NoCal,

I just got off chexsucks system. They keep records for 5 yrs, but don't always purge information. You can try the good faith thing talking with the branch manager and paying your debt, but they may not take you off. They don't have too. This is all about blacklisting. Some banks may take you depending on how old the debt, and what is in your file. I got an acount with Union Bank of California before I was off chexsystems. You might try there, but visit the branch. I believe if your mark on chexsystem is at least a year old, they can help you out. They do chex chexsystems & credit. But the credit is for identifying purposes only. Because of the Patriot Act. Hope this helps.

Does it have to be with a major bank? How about checking out credit unions in your area? They tend to be more lenient because their existance thrives on membership. Plus, a lot of them don't have as many outrageous fees as the larger institutes (ie: Fifth Third charging $6 a day for each day your account is negative).

Dude, don't even get me started on 5/3. They're the most unethical. I deposited $300 cash at 10:00 am one day to keep a check from bouncing and they still charged me a $35 overdraft fee. The check wasn't even posted until the next day. I went round and round for 4 months over "If I deposit $300 cash at 10:00 am on Thursday and a $112 dollar check comes through on Friday why do I get charged an overdraft fee?" They finally credited my account but by that time I was using another bank as my primary account.

That's exactly why I'll never bank with a major bank again, and stay with my credit union.

Yes, I really prefer a major bank, and a checking account. Do you think CITI would accept me for a new checking acct if I walk in and pay off the debt in person?

May I ask why you prefer a major bank over a credit union?

I would recommend finding a Washington Mutual. BoA sucks anyways.

I had the complete opposite experience with these two. When we moved to FL we opened a Wamu account. They put a hold on EVERY deposit-even my paychecks. When the paychecks went DD-they still held them. I was flabbergasted. I marched in there and demaded that they stop-so they did on the DD-but still every check was placed on hold-even cashiers checks. I had a come to jesus meeting with the branch manager the week before we were to close on the house when depositing the last of the funds (cashiers checks) we needed. I told her you can take these checks (it was like 2K against an account with 80k in it) and not place a hold on them or close all accounts and return my money to me, in cash. She did it, but not without looking at me like a dirty piece of cheese and 'harumping' the whole time. I closed all accounts there last week.

BofA here has been wonderfull. They are very friendly. It could be that the previous banks culture still prevails here and they havent been BoAed yet. But for now, they are awesome.

My .02

J

Check out CharterOne. Not only is everything free (no fees), but they gave $100 on a mastercard gift-card just for setting up a checking account with DD. Then another $10 when my wife opened an account for herself, and another $50 for signing up to use the electronic bill-pay.

They also cover the first 4 overdrafts each month at no charge.

DocDon...

I'd prefer a major bank because in approx one year I am starting a business and would like to set up a few business accts. I will be having clients wire transfer large amounts of money into these accounts. It just looks alot better to people if they are wiring money to Citi, Wells, etc than to a smaller (unknown) credit union/bank.

I had a problem w/ ChexSystems for years; I just got an acct w/ a credit union. But, b/c of the inconvenience of the CU's hours and accessibility, I decided to confront ChexSystems. I had them send my rept and I disputed. Everything fell off. Try that. I opened w/ Bank One recently and regret not challenging it sooner.

DocDon...

I'd prefer a major bank because in approx one year I am starting a business and would like to set up a few business accts. I will be having clients wire transfer large amounts of money into these accounts. It just looks alot better to people if they are wiring money to Citi, Wells, etc than to a smaller (unknown) credit union/bank.

Makes perfect sense.

I've heard many people say they wouldn't go with a credit union because somebody painted a bad picture of them.

Wow, I am finally free! After almost 2 years of not having a checking and savings account, after having to pay outrageous check cashing fees, after having to go with my girlfriend to her bank every time to cash checks, my life has changed: thanks to Citibank, Queens!

Today I walked in and presented my proof that I had paid my outstanding debt at Fifth Third Bank in Ohio. I had the original receipts the bank sent me back. I was upfront with the bank and told them that I was currently in Chex Systems for NSF, but had since resolved the debt with the existing bank, had proof of this resolution in paper form, and was currently disputing with Chex Systems.

Wow, if you can imagine how happy I was walking out of there with my new debit card, my new checkings AND savings account information--Wow! So if you are stuck in Chex Systems, but can prove that you paid the debt that caused you to be in Chex Systems too, try Citibank!

One caveat though, they do a credit check. I tried to pull another 3B credit report from Privacy Guard to verify which bureau they pulled from, but being that I had already pulled another credit report this morning ( I pull every day, the more you soft pull, the less memory the CRAs have to hold your hard inquiries--sometimes resulting in bumpage of inquires off your report) they wouldn't let me pull until another 24 hours had expired. Will let you know of my results soon.

The credit report doesn't come back with a FICO or an account by account summary, I think it just says OK to open account or declined. So I don't know precisely what standard they use.

Furthermore, it seems as if Chex might be in a couple of FCRA violations here. My CRRR green card for my dispute is signed and dated 3-18. When Citi received their electronic Chex Systems report, it showed as "report is disputed by consumer."

Well, it's now 4-19, the 30 day date has passed. The Chex Systems report should be updated now. Whether my info is deleted or stated as customer paid in full is not the issue. Its that Chex Systems still has my report in Dispute mode past the 30 day mark. Hmmm....

DocDon...

in approx one year I am starting a business and would like to set up a few business accts.

When you set up your business accounts, you need to get an assumed name to set them up and also a tax identification that is different from your ss number. You will just be a signer on the business account.

I'm going to have to try reaching them this week. How long does the process typically take? Is it like challenging with the CRA's?

US Bank does not do Chexsystem checks. At least here they don't. I am also on chexsystems, and they never checked and open me a checking account without even asking about that.

I was in a branch of Friday and the clerk was trying to get online with them (this is before I knew they had something on me). He tried calling them and couldn't get through - Friday before long weekend.

I don't know exactly what it is but I'm assuming it was my WaMu acct that was closed over 2 years ago. It's nothing but charges and not one of them was an NSF charge. Lord only knows what it is?

I'll call them tomorrow and find out for sure. Don't know how this will go. Has anyone else been in this situation (re: service charges etc)?

I agree with creditech. Have proof that the chexsystems profile has rolled off.

I had the letter from chexsystems in hand when I opened up a checking acct with US Bank. The CS person helping me, took a copy of the letter when I opened the account. I never had any problems after that.

Now I was under the impression that no matter even if you'd paid the offense in question off, you'd still be in ChexSystems for five years, but don't quote me on that.

Check out info on these websites:

http://chexsys.tripod.com/

don't know if its still being updated, but info that's here is good.

http://chexvictims.com/cs/

http://chexvictims.com/cs/forums/default.aspx

on the forum is a list by state of non-CS financial institutions.

Hope this helps ya.

Most banks don't run ChexSystems on savings accounts. Not as good as checking obviously, but it's an option for you.

Thought this was funny as it is completely opposite for me.

Bank of the West let me open a checking account 3 years ago without problem. Last month, I tried to open a savings account with them and they couldn't without authorization from the branch manager because of what came back with ChexSystems... hehehe. They ended up opening it for me as I haven't had an NSF with them.

I had a problem w/ ChexSystems for years; I just got an acct w/ a credit union. But, b/c of the inconvenience of the CU's hours and accessibility, I decided to confront ChexSystems. I had them send my rept and I disputed. Everything fell off. Try that. I opened w/ Bank One recently and regret not challenging it sooner.

I agree about the locations. The advantage of a Credit Union is that they will pass your credit easier. They are more forgiving and less picky about your credit score.

Joseph

Try usaa.com - they will open an account just by checking Telecheck ... also US Bank checked Chex for me ...