Anything new on RJM Acquisitions Funding?

Fozzle

Does anyone have any insight into RJM? I have an ongoing dispute with them for a non-Fingerhut issue. I thought they used to have a website up, but either I have the wrong address, or it's gone.

I got a couple of letters from them that state "RJM...is not a collection agency" (in bold), and at the bottom of the page, there's the standard "This is an attempt to collect a debt... blah blah blah."

If they're a bad debt buyer, that stills seems like a collection agency to me. The NY BBB thinks they're a collection agency. They wouldn't be trying to violate the FDCPA (and Cali law) by misrepresentating the true nature of their business and/or services, would they?

If they're a bad debt buyer, that stills seems like a collection agency to me. The NY BBB thinks they're a collection agency. They wouldn't be trying to violate the FDCPA (and Cali law) by misrepresentating the true nature of their business and/or services, would they?

That definitely sounds like a violation of the FDCPA to me.

§ 807. False or misleading representations [15 USC 1962e]

(10) The use of any false representation or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect any debt or to obtain information concerning a consumer.

They shouldn't be allowed to say that they are not a collection agency if they are trying to collect a debt and are NOT the original creditor. Anyone other than original creditors that are attempting to collect a debt are bound by the FDCPA. Have you DVd them?

There are only two ways to go.

There are Original Creditors (those who actually loaned the money to begin with)

And then there is anyone else who acquires the delinquent account. They are ALL Debt Collectors and therefore subject to the FDCPA.

There are only two ways to go.

There are Original Creditors (those who actually loaned the money to begin with)

And then there is anyone else who acquires the delinquent account. They are ALL Debt Collectors and therefore subject to the FDCPA.

Don't forget an OC can fall under the purvue of the FDCPA if they use any false/misleading communications that lead the consumer to believe that a CA is involved. Section 1692a(6).