debt validation question

alcynaaa

Hi, could someone please answer a question? I recently viewed my credit report and saw that a Collection Agency, A.K.A, United Retrieval, is trying to collect on a judgement from 1998. I sent them a validation letter requesting copies of agreement that bears my signature that I agreed to pay the original creditor, copies showing me that their client gave them authority to collect, and I requested proof that they are licensed in my state to collect. What they sent me was a copy from the internet web address "www.lasuperiorcourt.org" that I got myself when I went to this web address. Is this sufficient validation? Or do I need what I asked for?

No, that would not be sufficient validation. Anyone can get their hands on that info, which does not prove the CA was contracted to collect on it. Further the FDCPA states the information must be mailed to you - not the link where the information is located.

File a complaint with the FTC www.ftc.gov against United Retrieval, and file a complaint against them with your state Attorney General.

§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

I am going to send the CA another letter stating I need sufficient validation and if they don't comply I will be filing a complaint with the FTC and Attorney General. But in mean time I am going to get started on my complaints. Thanks for your help. :)