requesting credit limit increase - hard inquiry?

Just curious if when you request a credit limit increase on a card if its possible for it to show as a hard inquiry on a CR? I know my CapitalOne card doesnt but I want to increase the limit on my CircuitCity card but at this point dont want any further inquiries.

Also, if I use a CC companies automated system to request an increase, do they have let me know before its done that they will be checking my credit report?

Household shows as a hard inq on my report for a cli request on my Corvette card and they did NOT warn me of the inq before doing it. Target also did a hard. They told me they would have to check credit 1st and dumb me didn't think that it would be a hard but it was.

paw67

I've had some success disputing these kinds of inquiries since I already had an account with my creditors. Being this is not an application for credit, they should be listed as 'soft inquiries' - more specifically, 'account reviews'.

EQ updated right away. TU took a little more effort. EX I gave up on.

Worth a try.

It also depends on a few other factors too.

Like, I had a credit limit of 1300 with Lowes. I called up for a credit limit increase and the rep told me that WITHOUT an inquiry, he could increase up to 1850. I was never late on a payment and I had a zero balance from almost being maxed out at one time.

Some outfits like Lowes can give you an increase right on the spot without checking your credit if you have kept your nose clean.

Be sure to ask up front if it is possible for them to give you an increase without checking your credit rating based on your credit history with them...

Has something changed that I don't know about? EQ labels inquiries to your credit report by your existing creditor as "AR" for Account Review.

What are they looking at by pulling another hard that they can't see in an AR?

I have actually had SEVERAL creditors pull a hard inquiry for a credit limit increase even though I am an exsisting customer.

Interestingly, ALL of these creditors pulled Equifax.

Lowes happened to be one of them. One credit union and another bank pulled hard inquiries on Equifax on me too.

At first, it was a bit difficult to remove them Equifax because they would tell me that since I ALREADY had an existing account with that creditor, such an inquiry was valid.

As a result, I wrote out a dispute letter pointing out that yes, I did give permission for such and such creditor to check my credit to open this account on this certain date but I never gave them permission to check my account again on this "other" date. Afterwards, EQ/CSC removed the inquiries.

I haven't tried it recently since CSC has changed their inquiry dispute policy.

But yes, creditors do pull hard inquiries for credit limit increases. For me, it just happened with Equifax.

Surprisngly, outfits that primarily use Trans Union simply pulled ARs...

• 1 month later...

If you the consumer, requests a credit line increase it would be a "hard" hit. It is very rare that it would be considered a soft hit.

Credit card companies by law are required to tell you they will be pulling your credit report, thereby giving them permission.

If you the consumer, requests a credit line increase it would be a "hard" hit. It is very rare that it would be considered a soft hit.

Credit card companies by law are required to tell you they will be pulling your credit report, thereby giving them permission.

That was the question. What do they see differently in an "Account Review" (AR) that they will see differently by pulling an entire report again? Wouldn't an AR give them the info they need?

If CC companies are required by law to tell you they will be pulling a credit report, they haven't been doing a good job of it. Most reports are full of pulls by current issuers - none of which were intitiated by the consumer. Now that more CC companies are molding your relationship with them based on your relationship with other creditors, how can they possibly notify everyone every time they pull the reports?