NASCO Crooks

srv_827

Okay, here's the deal. I am trying to clean up my wifes credit report. One of the accounts is for Fashion Bug and is now being handled by NASCO. I spoke with a Tim Brown at said company and explained to him that I wanted to coorespond my mail only and that I needed an address to do so. He repeatedly asked me what for, and I repeatedly told him that I did not want to discuss anything to do with the account over the phone. He said that he would only give me the address if I was sending a payment. When I told him I wasn't going to send a payment at this time, he told me to speak with my lawyer to get an address and that my conversation with him was over. Then he hung up.

This is the same guy that couldn't tell me when they acquired the account, whether they had purchased it or were working on behalf of Fashion Bug, how much the original balance was ($129 according to CR), what fees were added on to it, etc. etc. etc.

Did I do anything wrong here? I thought that they were required by law to honor my request to coorespond by mail. Obviously, he was trying to bully me, but do I have a legitimate complaint here?

I am going to try and validate the debt. I found the address, but I want to know what to put into the letter.

Thanks

i think the only thing you did wrong was talk to the guy on the phone, but when you dont have an address what else can you do?

i think the interpretation of the FDCPA says they only have to accept an oral request not to call you at work, not anything about mail only contact.

fire off a DV (CMRRR) to the address you have (your CR should also have contact info for them, if its different to what you have, also send an identical letter to that address) and put a request in writing for them to only contact you by mail concerning this. that will be binding upon them.

Okay, here's the deal. I am trying to clean up my wifes credit report. One of the accounts is for Fashion Bug and is now being handled by NASCO. I spoke with a Tim Brown at said company and explained to him that I wanted to coorespond my mail only and that I needed an address to do so. He repeatedly asked me what for, and I repeatedly told him that I did not want to discuss anything to do with the account over the phone. He said that he would only give me the address if I was sending a payment. When I told him I wasn't going to send a payment at this time, he told me to speak with my lawyer to get an address and that my conversation with him was over. Then he hung up.

This is the same guy that couldn't tell me when they acquired the account, whether they had purchased it or were working on behalf of Fashion Bug, how much the original balance was ($129 according to CR), what fees were added on to it, etc. etc. etc.

Did I do anything wrong here? I thought that they were required by law to honor my request to coorespond by mail. Obviously, he was trying to bully me, but do I have a legitimate complaint here?

I am going to try and validate the debt. I found the address, but I want to know what to put into the letter.

Thanks

The FDCPA says that they have to stop using the phone to your place of business as soon as they know it is not allowed (even if that notification is verbal), and they have to stop calling your home upon written notification to cease.

The FDCPA also says that a collector cannot willfully disguise or use deception to hide who they are.

There is also a section that says they must provide notice to you in writing within 5 days of the first time they contacted you (or your wife) that you have the right to request validation -- this is called a section 809 notice. And; they must include in all communications a statement that they are a debt collector -- known as a section 807 notice.

Look over any written correspondence they sent. That address is as good as any for sending mail to them. You are using CMRRR so you'll have a signature that they got it. Their internal mail routing once the post office delivers it is their problem, not yours. If you have not gotten anything by mail, you may have to do some searching to get an address.