Making My CC's Work For ME - Please Read

Hey Guys,

Ok I just got the final card I applied for. The card is AT&T universal with 4000 limit. I called to get the card activated and the rep stated that if I ever need cash, AT&T would transfer the cash to my account and they would treat the transaction as a balance tranfer. Mind you AT&T has promotion going on for balance transfers 0% until April 2005. My mind started working at this point.

What if I had AT&T transfer $1200 into my account and two more CC companies to the same (they all have similiar offers with balance transfers). After the $1200 initial deposit from each credit card, I will throw the cards in the back of my drawer and not charge them again until they are PAID OFF IN FULL (APR 2005). I will have $3600 (1200x3) at my disposal to invest in an interest bearing account. From this account, I would make the min monthly payment for each CC until March 2005. Apr 1st 2005 I will pay off each CC in full and the remaining balance is strictly profit for me. Is this a good idea or not? Please give me your opinions..

Yes you can pull this off if you are really careful. Even one slip up, one day late, for whatever reason, reinstate the regular interest rate (9%-14%), and a second late payment will put your interest rate at default rates (23%+), and those late payment charges or overlimit charges will wipe out any savings you think you can get.

For this very reason, I am not tempted by the 0% balance transfer offers. The risk is too high, and the potential return is just pennies -- what interest rates are you going to get on these deposits? 0.25%? 0.5%? I bet it's not more than that.

It's probably not worth it for such a small amount of money and for such a low yield. I think the best way to go is to have a home equity credit line instead of a mortgage. Then using the free loan to temporarily lower the monthly payment of your existing mortgage at least yields (in my case) a 3.75% return. Much better than I could get from anywhere else that's as safe. My credit limit is fairly high, so it's well worth it for me to take advantage of such offers, and I do.