Paid off bk attorney over a month ago, still not filed?

scrapwench

We made the last payment to our bk attorney on 3/6. They have everything from us that we've been asked for. Every week, I call and ask for a status on it. Every week, they tell me we're "next on the list" to get our paperwork done.

It's been over a month now, and they still haven't done the paperwork, let alone filed the stupid thing.

Hubby and I are thinking of going to their office tomorrow and demanding a refund. Are we nuts, or is this lawyer trying to string us along for some weird reason?

Call them back, to hell with this 'next on the list' garbage. They have been paid, they are working for YOU, so tell them you want it done in the next 2 weeks (or whatever time limit you want) or you will file a complaint with the bar assn and take your business elsewhere. He hasn't earned it yet !

I'm going in tomorrow to take back our paperwork and get a refund. I've spent the past 2 days calling other attorneys in town, and none of them can see any logical reason why they've been sitting on this money for over a month. So, it's onward and upward (hopefully!) with a new attorney.

I called today and told them I'd be in at 2pm tomorrow, and that I expect everything to be ready and waiting for me. If it's not, I'll stand in their lobby and call the Indiana Bar Association in front of their clients :twisted:

Hell hath no fury like a pissed off redhead. :evil:

Grrr. Little twit is avoiding me like the plague. :evil: They're not returning phone calls, or answering the office phone at all now. I even parked outside his office today for 2 hours and no one showed up. (although the "nice" lady in the store next door called the police on me. :roll: )

Monday morning I try one more time. If he's still not there, I dunno what else to do. Can the police make him do anything, since he's still got all of our paperwork? Bar association just told me to file a formal complaint (well duh) but they won't do anything beyond that. :x

Ambush this moron of an attorney at the courthouse !! If he's there a lot, I'd be looking at the court dockets to see when he's going to be there and I'd nail him when he's between cases !!!

I'm not a redhead, but morons like that piss me off -- and you DON"T want to piss me off ... :twisted:

Oooh, hadn't thought about trying to catch him at the court house. I'll have to see if I can find our local dockets online :)

Worst case scenario, I call the local tv station's help line and tell them the sad, sad tale of a poor couple just trying to get a fresh start, and the evil attorney who ran off with the money they scraped together to file bk. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Scrap, They're plenty of good attys in IN--as well as some bad ones.

I paid my $$ and filled out paper work with an assoc, signed it before we left. Atty reviewed it and it was filed the same day. If the guy is primarily into BK's, call the BK court and see if they know him or can give you whats on his calender. I think the new system can pull all cases pertaining to a certain atty. Good luck, if you need a referal in Indianpolis, let me know--there are cheaper-- paid a 1000 for a 7 but had my calls returned within a half hour--evrytime. well worth the extra couple hundred.

This is my first post...hope I do it correctly...... I am extremely frustrated with my ch. 7 bankruptcy. Forms were filled out and given to the lawyer along with the final payment in August, 2003. Not knowing how long these things take, I waited for a month or two before inquiring about the time table. Someone from the office had put my papers with the pile of items not yet paid, when in fact, mine were. So, they went ahead with filing.......only to find out that because of my address (apparently in one county, but actually in another) things were filed at the wrong place, SO they had to be re-filed. Upon calling and leaving several messages, someone finally got back to me saying they were sitting on someone's desk in (Phila??) because some number was not put on them so they didn't know what to "do" with them. NOW, I finally got a notice in the mail about a hearing in two weeks.........I NEVER dreamed it would take nearly NINE months. How much longer will things take after this "hearing"? I was hoping to be able to move on long before now....I feel like my hole is just getting deeper. Any words of wisdom?