Should I sue on my own, or find a lawyer?

camilomachado

I am planning on going after Providian and suing them for reporting incorrect information to the credit agencies. I have been with a CCCS company that proposed a payment plan to Providian, and they accepted. All payments have been made on time to CCCS and they have been disbursed to Providian on time from CCCS as well. Someone forgot to reage the account and that's why I have lates on my report.

Providian knows it's a mistake and a technicality. I initially made them aware of it in Feb 2004. I also disputed immediately wth CRAs. In May 2004, I mailed a formal written dispute to Providian and re-disputed with CRAs. Here's what I got on Providian violations:

1. Misleading and incorrect payment history reporting. I now have written letter from CCCS along with payment history for past 2 years that prove they have always paid on time.

2. Providian furnished info for month of May (about 3 weeks after receiving my dispute) without notifying the CRAs that the accounts are in dispute

3. Providian has yet to respond to my dispute. They have until June 5th and then the 30 days are up.

4. I applied for an auto loan this weekend and took with me the letter from CCCS that clearly states and proves that I've made payments. I will know this week if I get approved, but chances are I will get denied. Thus, I am hoping to sue for defamation of character.

Lastly, since I have disputed with the CRAs as well, are they not supposed to indicate that I am currently disputing the items? I have not seen such notation. I will also be mailing statements that prove I paid every month without fail.

Should I try and do this in small claims court, or should I hire an experienced lawyer (if I can find one) and take this all the way?

Thanks. I've sent out a few emails to local attorneys with experience. I got their names from the naca.net website. At this point, I am going after Providian, even if they change their tune and reverse the inaccuracies. At the very least, I have them dead to rights on failure to notify the bureaus that the accounts are "in dispute."