What about exs

dloran

I have a sister-in-law that had her credit run through the ringer by her exboyfriend (boyfriend at the time) and father of her youngest daughter. He opened about five credit cards and charged aprox $6000 to them. He used a paper shredder to destory all the bills and everything with any security info. When my sister-in law found out he had already skipped town. She called the police and tried to file charges against him, but they just told her because they where living together at the time there is nothing they can do. She has gotten some of the accounts closed but still owes the money because they tell her the samething, is that they were together at the time. She still has accounts that he opened over the internet that she can not close because she doesn't have the security codes for this accounts. Is there anything I can tell her to help her out or is she stuck with the bills?

• 3 weeks later...

Something about this doesn't seem right--they weren't MARRIED and yet authorities are telling her she's liable for the ID theft? How long had they been living together AND is there "common law" marriage in this state they reside in?

She should go ahead and make a police report MOST DEFINITELY if there's still time.

When did all this happen? And you're saying he opened these CC's online under HER name? Has she requested validation of these debts? My goodness--and I thought my hubby had it bad with HIS ex.

Elyse

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure exactly what is going on at this point other then my sister -in-law went to court over it and because they had a child together and where living together at the time the debts where accured they said she was also responsible for the debts. I am only getting this info second hand so I am not totally sure how much is correct. So when my sister-in-law is here next week I will give her this sites info and she can log in and pick up where I missed. Thanks

How then do they catch up with individuals like this that do the same thing time and time again - enter into a relationship with someone and take them for everything they're worth? At what point does it become a crime? That's the question; and chances are, he'll do the same thing again to someone else.

Doc,

I don't get why it IS NOT a crime to do this. It infuriates me to no end I tell ya! xhotx

Part of the problem MAY BE that some folks just aren't willing to press the necessary charges. I hope that changes one day. Granted, what happened to my dh in his previous marriage happened before he even knew she was leaving him--a lot of it anyway (although not ALL of it).

Of course another part of the problem is our laws--this "community property state" business needs to be more specific. I personally feel whoever makes the bill should be responsible to PAY the bill. If you sign a credit card receipt you're essentially signing a contract (that's my understanding having read what I signed NUMEROUS times) that you will repay that amount--and I don't get why they don't enforce that better. Oh well..I agree.

Dloran,

I hope things get squared away for your sis-in-law, I know how tough it can be. About 11 yrs ago I had a live-in b/f calling 1-900 numbers on my phone while I was at work and I was told that "because my name was FIRST I am MORE responsible..." Unfortunately I got goaded into paying it (long story there-but he paid half)--Hey...didn't know then what I know now. Education and learning our rights is KEY here. Best wishes to her.

Elyse

• 3 months later...

This is truly a joke.... This happened to me but it was $75,000.00. The thief was a girl that lived with me and worked part time in my business. I contacted everyone from the Secret Service to the IRS to the Attorney General and they all laughed and said it was "he said, she said". I even found CC that were applied for online. My bank said I caught it too slow, so did the CC companies. The prosecutor in Cincinnati had his own little "he said she said" when he lost his job for having SEX with a Asst prosecutor for 3.5 yrs and forgot to tell his wife and kids. He was high school buddies with the congressman. So much for laws or justice...

Call it a crime of passion, but it boils down to a domestic dispute that no one wants to criminalize.

Depending on how old the statements/charges are. you could contest the bill via the FCBA. I You should sue as many parties as you can to get the accounts settled. If you get sworn testimony from the fraud that they opened accounts in your name, you may get a police officer interested.

Until the powers that be realize these cases are not "victimless crimes", not much is going to be done.

It wasn't until recently that arrests are automatically made in domestic situations. They don't understand that destroying an individual's financial stability is often times worse than a slap to the face.