Sprint PCS

Methuss

Background:

About 6 years ago I opened my Sprint account. At the time I was fresh off a BK so they required me to put down a $250 security deposit and pay 2 months in advance. The security deposit was returned a year later but I was never credited for the extra month paid up-front. A couple months ago I discontinued service with Sprint. Upon receiving the final bill, I noted that they still had not credited the extra month paid up-front. I called the Illinois Commerce Commission (public utilities commission) and confirmed that they consider it regulated just like land-line phone service. ICC said I would be entitled to credit for the extra month's pre-paid service. So I wrote a restricted endorsement letter and enclosed a check reflecting one month's service deducted. Sprint cashed the check and my bank sent me the original back. Someone from Sprint "executive services" tried to call me once but I did not reply. They are continuing to send bills with late fees added for the one month that was deducted.

Details: I'm aware of 810 ILCS 5/3-311a which says that a restricted endorsement is not binding for undisputed amounts. IOW you can't use a restricted endorsement where the only purpose is to reduce your liability.

Questions: What would be the best way to send them another letter telling them to get lost? As far as I'm concerned my business with them is finished (I recently became very pissed off with their service) and they agreed to the settlement under the restricted endorsement agreement. Should I submit complaints to any government agencies? Is there anything I can smack Sprint with to warn them off from trying to send it to outside collections?

Use www.planetfeedback for your "notice" to them of your displeasure with their tactics. The more egg on their face the better for you to get what you want. Include in that letter that you checked with the ICC about the deposit and pre-paid month and how it should have been handled. Do not, however, state that you filed a complaint with the ICC. That can lead to punitive measures against you by Sprint. It's a good thing you got your deposit credited back to you since ICC statutes allow for a utility to "keep" the deposit if the customer "forgot" to ask for it back!

Also, for your info, it has been brought to my attention that a CRA called Lightbridge is out there just for the wireless phone companies. You might want to check them out later to see if you've been reported by Sprint.

See, Methuss, I'm getting good at this utilities game!

Katwoman, formally known as k.