Help with Experian

My husband disputed a debt with Experian. The creditor Lerners has us listed as having our account being managed by a debt mgmt agency. Years ago we were doing this but quit after they screwed us. The account show as open but still being managed. We disputed debt stating that we closed this acct, paid in full and are not part of a debt mgmt agency. We just got our investigation back and it says "verified and remains". This is not possible. Can I file suit. How do I do this. Do I just go to small claims and file> Help im new.

I think you are a little premature in wanting to sue. You need to go after the furnisher of the information the CRA is only showing what the furnisher is providing. You really only want to go to court if you have the CRA or CA on numerous violations. Judges like to see that you have exausted every avenue before coming to their courtroom. from your post it sounds like the OC (Lerners) is providing the false information. I would call them and let them know about the inaccurate reporting especially if its paid. That also depends on if you want the account completely gone or just updated if you want it gone then you need to bypass the phone and send them a verification letter requesting the proof they have that the account they are reporting indeed belongs to you.

the CRA is only showing what the furnisher is providing.

I don't think so. EXP has been doing some shady things recently. There are a lot of people out there that say the furnisher disagrees with what EXP is reporting as verified. My own experience with EXP reflects that they do not do investigations. I actually got them to admit on the phone (oh, I wish I had been recording it) that all they did in my case was verify that my name, address and SSN were the same on my published report as what was originally reported. It was admitted that they never even contacted the furnisher to see if anything had been changed.

I'm still going rounds with EXP over this since that phone conversation occurred only last week. But, they are on a freight train to a lawsuit right now.

Well they certainly did not investigate in my husband's case with the towing company, even after I sent them a letter showing that the collection agency had refused the debt validation letter. Plus they actually state that they are contacting the source of verification through an automated verification letter. They declined to inestigate again. Unbelievable.