Disputed CA, now CA send me a letter looking to settle@ 50%?

MikeyC23

Hey! I have a collection of $600 bucks that I disputed about 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard from the credit bureaus yet but I received a letter from the collection agency stating that they will settle for 50% of the balance. What should I do? I have NO IDEA what this collection is. I'm trying to get a mortgage in the next few weeks and even though this will not hurt my chances of getting a mortgage, I want this off my bureau. HELP??

Thanks! I live in FL

If they didnt validate the debt and just sent you a settlement, then they are in violation of the FDCPA. I would send them another letter pointing out *again* that this item is in dispute and you will not pay for an account that they cannot prove is yours. Point out their violations and that your next course of action will be to notify the ftc, aca, states, bbb, etc. unless the remove the item immediately.

Did you dispute with the CRAs? If you did and it was verified then you should send them a letter asking how an that cannot be validated to you was verified to them.

Go get em!!!!

You may have to allow 30 to 60 days for the validation process to compete. Three weeks is not a reasonable amount of time. After sixty days you could consider them in violation for non-removal, then if to no avail take them to court on your own.

You may have to allow 30 to 60 days for the validation process to compete. Three weeks is not a reasonable amount of time. After sixty days you could consider them in violation for non-removal, then if to no avail take them to court on your own.

True, but the OP doesnt have to wait 60 days to respond to their lack of response. Remember, its a paper trail that is getting built. I would agree to 45 days, but not 60. Thats an 'unreasonable' amount of time for anyone to respond to any request.

This collection agency just sent me a letter stating that I owe them $600 dollars for what I have no idea! It doesn't even reference what I owe them for? An old credit card, an old phone bill, etc.....

Since I disputed this collection about 3 weeks ago, I'm going to wait til I here back from all 3 bureaus and then take it from there? Right???????

You must send an appropriate DV letter to the CA now. Your dispute with the CRAs is totally different than a request for validation from the CA. Work on your CA today and tomorrow get that bad boy in the mail tues CMRRR.

Just got my equifax report today from my disputes and Equifax deleted the collection of $600 bucks so I can throw the collection letter in the garbage! Thanks everyone!! Only 2 collections left!!!

Of my 2 collections, both were verified with Equifax.

One collection is for an old charge-off that is not on my bureau anymore(over 5 yrs old)

2nd collection is for a BellSouth account I charged off 5 years ago.

Anyways, should I send Equifax a letter stating that the 2 collections are for old charge-offs that are past the SOL. Or, at least one of the collections is for a charge-off that is not even reporting on my bureau anymore.....

Suggestions?