Can you ask for a document with your sig as DV?

Just confused... can you ask for the signed paperwork that yu agreed to pay? TU sent me a reply one time I did that saying "The FCRA does not require us to provide a signature of your contract" or something to that affect. And they didnt investigate either.

But can you ask for that under the FDCPA against a CA in the DV? And if they dont provide it, its not "proof"? :shock:

I'm not sure what in detail they are required to provide--it may be that the FCRA doesn't "require" them to provide the signed form, so anything they aren't required to do they won't? Boneheads...but then you can still request it, can't you? If they can't provide it and if they can't verify though then they have to remove the reporting from your CR's...that's the thing. Try asking them what method they used for verification/validation then...

Here's what the site says regarding debt validation...(see blue links above)

What do they need to provide as debt validation?

Proof that the collection company owns the debt/or has been assigned the debt. (Joe N. is legally entitled to collect this particular debt from you.)

Complete payment history, starting with the original creditor. (You need to have proof of your payment history with Joe S., what the amount of the debt was when Joe S. assigned the debt to Joe N., and what fees/interest Joe N. has tacked on to this debt and how he determined these fees.)

Copy of original signed loan agreement, credit card application. (Your contract with Joe S. establishing the debt between you.)

Elyse

The 2nd paragraph in my response was copied directly from this site. So, whatever that says is what the site says as far as what is needed via the CA for a debt validation. (Still not sure myself "law" wise what constitutes legally validating someones debt or what they're "required" to send, but I'm learning)

If you saw the original posting in his 2nd paragraph of his original post he DID ask if you could request that info from a CA which was why I posted the 2nd paragraph. Is that better? Sorry for any misunderstandings. :)

Kind Regards,

Elyse

As for the CRAs, it is pretty simple.

If you dispute info on your CR as not yours or wrong info, etc, all they are going to do is contact the ones that are reporting the info and say "this is disputed, can you verify". ]

If the reporter can't verify, the CRAs will delete it. If they do, then you get the letter from the CRA that says, "verified".

The CRAs don't have to provide you with any documents. You have to go after the ones reporting the info for that.

My understanding from reading many posts is: the main reason to dispute with the CRAs is to hope they can't verify the acct info, which apparently happens much of the time. In that case the law says they must delete it and then you are happy.

Under the FCRA, you can dun the OC and tell them it isn't yours but ask them to send you documentation establishing that it is, such as a signature, statement, address card or the like. Do that, and if you don' t get an answer in 40 days, dispute it with TU again, letting them know the OC didn't respond. TU should remove it then.