How to file a motion?

Most court houses have a library with people that can help you do exactly that. If they don't many have a department set up for that purpose.

Call them and ask.

It's really pretty easy. You type up the motion and make it look pretty much like the one you got from the attorney suing you. You list the points you are objecting to or suing for and file it.

Usually the libraries will point you in the right direction if you want to find case law also.

Court facilitators are great! I don't know if ALL courts call them that, but you can call down to your court house and request one to see if they have someone there. They're great for helping you fill out forms and such even though they aren't able to give legal advice. The reason I recommended calling is because some of them need ya to make an appointment with them.

Good luck! :D

Elyse

Look into what these people have said to help you. You're wanting to file a "Motion to Amend Original Answers". As a pro se litigant the judge should give you some leeway and generally you may amend your answers if it is timely. If your amended answers are based on any affirmative defenses that you used be sure to cite/list it in your motion.

You're wanting to file a "Motion to Amend Original Answers".

We can't really tell you what the motion will be called unless we know what court you are in, but it is more likely to be called a motion for leave to file a cross-complaint or counterclaim (whichever it is called in your jurisdiction).

The library is the best place to start. Most states have some sort of civil procedure practice guide that will tell you what the rules are and also give you sample pleadings that you can copy from. Librarians are often very helpful.

Good luck.

I had to file a Motion to: allow filing of a counterclaim. This was in NJ. But the nice ladies at the court house told me to take my Motion and my counterclaim and file them both at the same time. So I have to pay my fee and file the motion and the counterclaim Monday morning I know NJ has a web site you can obtain the forms for the motion. or just go to the court and ask the court people to help you file the right one