OC bill and CA first letter rec'd at same time

IngridA

Checked the mail today and found the last bill from the OC for a cell phone acct that I've been meaning to cancel and settle -- at the same time I rec'd a notice from the CA that they have placed the account with.

So who should I deal with? Should I attempt to arrange payment with OC and validate with the CA so they don't report to the CRAs?

Thanks for the advice!

Ingrid

Send a DV to the CA.

Write the executive offices of the cell phone company and state you requested a final bill to settle the account, and instead was notified the account was unnecessarily contracted to a collection agency.

Request they send you a written response indicating they will immediately recall the collection upon receipt of payment and remove any negative remarks that may have been reported to the major credit repositories. You can even go as far as to say there is no reason to damage your credit for seven years because you chose to close the account and ask for a final billing statement.