Does anyone know how long before late pays have less effect.

camilomachado

Does anyone know how long before late pays take less effect on your CRs. I have scattered 30 day lates dating back 24-28 months. I do have a one more recent 30 days late dating back to Dec 2002. No collections or charge offs on my CRs and my scores are in the 630s

You've done some nice work on your credit. Chances are that recent 30 day late is effecting your score so try working on getting that off. Which CRA is it reporting? Did you try contacting the OC?

Also, how's your utilization? Try to get credit line increases and don't open any new accounts if you don't have to. No sense taking a hit with inquiries if you want to see your score rise.

Just by working on the above, you should see an improvement in your scores shortly.

Utilization in general for my 5 credit cards is under 50% (3 of the 5 are at about 10%). The most recent 30 day late is from Orchard Bank. I would like to try a goodwill letter but Orchard is part of Household Bank and they give no indication as to which address to send such correspondence.

Try the www.planetfeedback route instead but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for them to change that late. Orchard, Cap 1 and Providian aren't nice about those things since they only take higher credit risks folks, and if they "help" you out, well then, you'll just move on to the prime cards and leave them and their ridiculous rates in the dust.

Is there any way you can argue that the mail was late or the postman left the mail in your neighbors' mail slot instead of yours? Think of something plausible and include how this late is effecting your score to such a degree that it's keeping you from getting attractive finance rates on a car/house.

Try doing a search on this board ( and any others you may be on) for Orchard Bank retention phone number. They're usually more receptive but, again, don't hold your breath.

How old is this account and the others? What are your credit limits? This also has a lot to do with your scores.