Do lots of address changes trigger red flags?

If I can't get some stuff off my report I will change my address (but just changed my PO Box to stop ID theft due to my wallet being stolen and the thief set up automatic withdrawls from my checking account). I was going to do another PO Box and then change it to my street address and claim stuff as "not mine" and see what happens.

But if, say, I change my address in 2 months and then again in 2 months, will this cause any problems?

More than 2 addresses in a 5 year period will lower your FICO score slightly and the more addresses you have the lower your score will be. Many addresses are a sign of instability, which means credit risk.

Changing your address won't eliminate trade-lines and CRAs do not recognize PO Boxes as real addresses.

More than 2 addresses in a 5 year period will lower your FICO score slightly and the more addresses you have the lower your score will be.

I've never heard that before. Please post the source of this info so I can take a look. I'd like to put together a "FICO fact" thread, but want it to be accurate.

I don't think this is correct.

I had 2 previous addresses listed on my EQ & TU. I called and told them I never lived there.

Since now my CR has no other address listed other than my current one, how could there be a factor in the score? Also, there is no indication how long you lived at an address so how could they factor that into the score?

I will have my address change show up soon enough, so I will have to see if I can discern any cause and effect with scores.

As to the CRAs not recognizing PO Boxes, they do if you don't give them anything else. My bank, my mortgage, my utilities all come to my PO Box, I have not used a street address in 5 years.

Addresses weighed heavily in the old FICO system as did having a phone, having a phone with an unlisted number and not have a phone. Our society is much more mobile and transient than 30 years ago. FICO recognizes that so the impact isn't as great. I don't know what the new standard is but more than 2 addresses in 5 years was part of the old FICO scoring system.

Many creditors also employee their own internal scoring system which is based on number of addresses, length of time at those addresses, street address vs PO Box, length of employment, and telephone vs telephone w/unlisted number vs wireless phone and a few other factors. And of course, as of late, whether or not any "credit repair" activity has taken place.

The subscriber's credit report has the dates that all addresses were first reported or used and from that they can infer the length of time.

The subscriber's credit report has the dates that all addresses were first reported or used and from that they can infer the length of time.

So there are dates associated with the addresses that don't appear on the credit report?

I can see the phone number rating going out the window with cell phones. Many people don't even have a regular phone these days (and some that do, have stopped service). How would they know if it was an unlisted number, if you provided the number to the CRAs? I have not had a listed number since 1983 (due to an experience with the landlord's psychopathic son - we would call the cops and they would take him away in one of those nice white jackets) when I learned that somtimes, you don't want people to find you.

So if I deleted my previous addresses, does that mean they think I have lived at my current address since I was first reported?

More than 2 addresses in a 5 year period will lower your FICO score slightly and the more addresses you have the lower your score will be. Many addresses are a sign of instability, which means credit risk.

Changing your address won't eliminate trade-lines and CRAs do not recognize PO Boxes as real addresses.

Im calling bullshit....taken from myfico.com:

What's Not in Your Score

FICO scores consider a wide range of information on your credit report. However, they do not consider:

Your race, color, religion, national origin, sex and marital status.

US law prohibits credit scoring from considering these facts, as well as any receipt of public assistance, or the exercise of any consumer right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Your age.

Other types of scores may consider your age, but FICO scores don't.

Your salary, occupation, title, employer, date employed or employment history.

Lenders may consider this information, however, as may other types of scores.

Where you live.

Any interest rate being charged on a particular credit card or other account.

Any items reported as child/family support obligations or rental agreements.

Certain types of inquiries (requests for your credit report).

The score does not count "consumer-initiated" inquiries - requests you have made for your credit report, in order to check it. It also does not count "promotional inquiries" - requests made by lenders in order to make you a "pre-approved" credit offer - or "administrative inquiries" - requests made by lenders to review your account with them. Requests that are marked as coming from employers are not counted either.

Any information not found in your credit report.

Any information that is not proven to be predictive of future credit performance.

Whether or not you are participating in a credit counseling of any kind.

Here is a link that tells you what items determine your FICO....and im sorry but nowhere in there do I see anything remotely having to do with your address(es).

http://www.myfico.com/myfico/CreditCentral/ScoreConsiders.asp

Unless you can provide actual PROOF to back your answers up....I suggest you stop giving misinformation.

Thanks for that Morrow. That address comment just didn't sound right to me.

I guess we're going to have to start cracking down on posts like this that at the very least, can't be backed up with a link to the source.

It's not fair to the new members to be steered in the wrong direction.

I realize people do say things sometimes out of ignorance or error but it wouldn't suprise me if some things were posted here by credit bureau and credit granting employees as DISINFORMATION.

It's kind of like watching Fox News and trying to get unbiased information. LOL

GardDawg

I realize people do say things sometimes out of ignorance or error but it wouldn't suprise me if some things were posted here by credit bureau and credit granting employees as DISINFORMATION.

That's fine. This is an open forum, available for anyone to view and post to. We welcome the "other" view as it makes for healthy debates and gives a better perspective of what's really going on out there.

Disinformation is usually easily detected, but it's the posts that bring up new "facts" without any source to back them up that's seems to be becoming an issue.

Actually I recalled reading that living in diffrent addresses and not being there for a quite long period of time can effect your fico score...at least thats what I understand from this webpage found at the creditcenterinfo webpage http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/scoring/scoringinfluences.shtml

Am I reading this wrong? It looks like if you do move a lot it will effect your fico score by a little but it will? Right?