foreign sol?

wdspeedbump

iowa code 614.7 Bar in foreign jurisdiction.

When a cause of action has been fully barred by the laws of any country where the defendant has previously resided, such bar shall be the same defense here as though it had arisen under the provisions of this chapter; but this section shall not apply to causes of action arising within this state.

does this mean that a debt incurred in another state is subject to that state's sol as far as iowa is concerned?

iowa code 614.7 Bar in foreign jurisdiction.

When a cause of action has been fully barred by the laws of any country where the defendant has previously resided, such bar shall be the same defense here as though it had arisen under the provisions of this chapter; but this section shall not apply to causes of action arising within this state.

does this mean that a debt incurred in another state is subject to that state's sol as far as iowa is concerned?

What? Foreign countries have national laws and no subordinate state laws like we do here in the US. You been staring at the grain elevator out in Eagle Grove for too long. You need some world travel time.

what is that supposed to mean?

hell, i'm from texas and all you people live in a foreign country as far as i'm concerned

and just for your information, Texas code of civil procedures and remedies ch 16.067 DOES say "other states and foreign countries". i was just trying to find out from an informed source whether this was iowa's way of saying the same thing.

The way I read this is that if cause is barred in a country you used to live in, then it is barred in Iowa as well.

eg. You lived in Canada and in Canada the cause of action is SoL in 3 years (hypothetically). Iowa's SoL is 5 years. Debt incurred while in Canada would be uncollectable after 3, not 5, years.

Calawyer back me up on this? I'm pretty sure I read it right...

Remember the Alamo!

No. Foreign country means exactly that. It probably actually refers to criminal satutes of limitations. I believe the US is the only (western democratic) country that does not have a statute of limitation on murder.

What the heck are you doing in Iowa? Not much there except corn. Lots of it. The largest grain elevator in the Free World is located in Eagle Grove, IA (just east of Fort Dodge on I-35). A little trivia just in case the question pops up while someone's playing Trivial Pursuit.

i have 3 exes in texas. enough said?