MEDICAL DEBT /VALIDATION AND HIPPA

hotdami812

I hereby permit so-and-so to release medical information regarding my treatment with ______________________ solely for the purpose of validation of a debt. This limited authorization in no way allows so-and-so to release my information to any other parties. A copy of the information should be mailed to the following address:_________________________.

Sign, date and have it notarized.

Doc

they are waiting for the signed authorization, in the meantime they are reporting this info. need a follow up letter. do you have any in mind. this is a first reply back of this nature for me. thanks.

Make them do their job. It is not up to you to validate for them.

I don't have anything specific in mind, sorry.

And you are right, don't sign anything. If you have disputed and they are still reporting, they need to send you $1000.00 I believe.

Maybe an ITS is in order.

E Montgomery, furthermore, why would I be in the position to prove it isnt mine, the burden is on them not me. VALIDATION I dont have to validate it they do.

Because they are trying to provide you with what you requested, pursuant to the FDCPA however, they don't want to violate your rights under HIPPA. :roll: You doctor is not allowed to release the information to the CA without your permission.

They could send you the patient responsibility section, which has no treatment information on it, just your signature, but to provide an itemized bill, they would need your permission to release health information.

If you are worried about signing something from a CA, then sign it with gel ink that does not copy.

What are doctors and hospitals supposed to do with patients that won't pay them? Just save time and sue everyone?

Medical bills s*ck, I agree. I would rather not have to pay them, especially in light of the fact that I do have health insurance and they get paid by insurance. However, my son had surgery this past December. Insurance did not cover about 2k. He was over 18 years old. I could simply say "Hey, he was 18, this is not my bill, so tough luck huh?" and let them go after my son, who incidentally, lives at home, is a student and has no assets. Instead I have been paying $50 per month to the doctor and $25.00 per month to the physical therapist. It is simply the right thing to do.

The CA can receive the info by signing a HIPPA non-disclosure agreement with the medical provider just as easily. As a matter of fact, they should have had one already before contacting you in the first place. HIPPA prevents any disclosure of medical information so the CA is already not following it simply by having your name, the amount, and the medical facility's name.

Although this is technically the medical provider's fault, not the CA (did I really say that?!?). The medical provider was supposed to have the CA sign a HIPPA NDA before they gave the CA any details about you at all.

Not necessarily. Its called covering your a$$. We send a authorization to release medical information to debtors to sign before we get their HICF from the doctors - even though we have signed a HIPPA agreement with the doctors office. It protects the consumer, the doctor and the CA.