How DUMB is this- really?

coed27

Hi everyone,

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot - :oops: I wanted to know if anyone has ever done this: you receive a letter via a ca about a bill- and it is for a "small" amount,let's say around $200.00. Well, you pay it but you send a money order directly to the oc instead of the ca and THEN you dispute the ca for the amount they say you owe. The bill is for something you know that you owe on like a utility company or phone bill. Trust me folks I DID NOT take the short bus to school but I truly want an opinion on how this was handled. Thnks!!!!!! XtypeX

Well, if the account has been SOLD to the CA, they won't take it. I don't think they CAN because the account isn't even thiers anymore, technically. If the account has been assigned, then it could go either way. Some OCs will take the money and apply it to the account as well as possibly get the CA to back off. Others will not accept it (Cap1 is like this, in my experience).

What you should do is, if you're wanting to pay, call the OC and find out if it's been sold or assigned. If assigned, ask if you can send the payment directly to them in order to get rid of the CA. Get it IN WRITING what you both want done (i.e. mark the account paid in full, delete the account, get the CA to remove their listing, etc).

If you play the cards right, this shouldn't be a big deal at all. :D

• 4 months later...

I h ave been doing this for a couple years. Now however, it's charged off, the OC is cashing the checks not reporting it. It's now been sold again to another CA, informed the CA that I was making payments, I told them to check their payment history, admitted that they do not have any history. I now missed a payment this month but I want to see who is collecting and now how to get the amount updated, see what I owe and to actually whom, and get it off my CRA