Sign in to follow this  
elyse449

I HATE THIS!

Now there's a new CA acct on my EQ CR and I haven't even received any letter from them!

I hate this--I wish there was law that said they had to inform the consumer FIRST and give them a chance to pay PRIOR to reporting on any CR's! Oh well... :oops: The thing is, I don't know what the he!! this is for since I haven't made any new bills since last year--perhaps one of my other debts was sold to a new CA. I'll have to find out. I found this out via PG today by the way--it wasn't on my CR I'd ordered from them in April. Stupid Risk Management Alternatives!

UPDATE: Further investigations yielded my finding out that this debt is an old utility bill. My bad...lol.... :lol:

Elyse

Collection agencies are required to send out notification. The vast majority of the send out a letter the first day they get the account. I mean look at this rationally, why would they NOT try to contact you? Creditors and collection agencies bill to get paid. It is not cost effective to not send you a notice, not try to contact you, and basically ignore the bill.

If this is an old untility bill, it is very likely that you moved and did not update your utility with a current address, or your utility did not correct your address if you gave them forwarding information. The agency more than likely did try to contact you by mail, and more than likely got a mail return. If you moved and left no forwarding information, I would assume that your telephone number changed. The agency probably tried to call you and got a disconnected number. Depending on the size of the bill, it may not have been worth the time and effort to try to locate you.

A couple things to try - contact the agency and give them the song and dance about how you never got a notice, and find out if the above is true. Believe me, collection agencies want your money, and if it comes to reporting it on your credit for up to seven years or getting your money, they will take your money and delete it, especially if they see that you never were contacted. Just make sure you get any agreement to delete from the credit bureau in writing before you pay them.

Collection agencies are required to send out notification. The vast majority of the send out a letter the first day they get the account. I mean look at this rationally, why would they NOT try to contact you? Creditors and collection agencies bill to get paid. It is not cost effective to not send you a notice, not try to contact you, and basically ignore the bill.

wouldnt it be nice if it worked that way? DH had a collection reported to TU in jan, then to EQ in march, THEN he got a letter in march asking for money. we only found out they were there when we had an attempted id theft happening in march and pulled his CRs. the CA certainly wasnt letting on that they had reported.

but i must add, knowing what i do now about credit scoring. placing a collection on my CR is a guarenteed way NOT to get paid. i dont like extortion, and i'm quite willing to commit credit suicide for the principle of the thing. the only way they are getting any money now is to sue me. and if they do that, they will shoot themselves in the foot, coz they cant prove i owe it.

As superrev described, this is one of the ways a CA locates a consumer. They have a legal right to do this, no matter what we all think. Even in California, where there is a law stating the consumer must be notified, it is clearly written that the only requirement is they send it to the last known address. True, most CA's or OC's will make the notation "unable to locate" so as to assure any person(s) who obtain a CR can notify the CA or OC involved, but, not all will do this. The same goes for those who do not exercise their rights under the FCRA to do a "Hard or Soft" so as to hopefully obtain a current address. Their whole attitude is the $ sign at any cost, yet, it would be cheaper to access more information from the CRA's and further their attempts that way. It could also create more income because they have reached out and touched more consumers. In short, most CA's have less "Gray Matter" than a Maggot.

This is one of the many reasons I think the law should be changed to include that all available steps were made and documented before a negative TL can be added to a CR. I honestly believe this is part of the reasoning behind FDCPA 809 in regards to the 30 days. If you think about it, it is very possible this is true.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping I can do a pay for delete on it, but we'll see. The OC were complete LOSERS--everyone in that area hated them because they really sunk to NEW LOWS in collecting. They basically pulled every trick in the book and had I known THEN what I know NOW I would've reported them to FTC/AG/BBB so quick they would've SHAT themselves!! I'm one of those people to where if I believe in something enough I latch on like a pit bull...hense my Penney Pit Bull dog I suppose! :)

Thanks folks! I'll tackle this one next--after I'm done w/ a couple others I'm working on.

Elyse