Sign in to follow this  
aldabog

Inaccurate TU report !

I disputed 4 medical bills on 07/07/04 (grand total of $700) to TU. I checked my credit yesterday 07/08/04 & I expected to see the

4 medical bills I just disputed - which I did.

I checked my credit again today 07/09/04 and I saw MORE medical collection items (about 6 more + 4 from previous) totalling $28,000 -

WOW !!!! I looked at my personal profile & saw a different address

with my name on it. I have lived here in Illinois ever since (never moved out of state) & the report shows a current address in California. Experian

& TU now have this California address.

How the heck did this happen??? Is this an Identity Fraud or TU is doing this on purpose? How do I handle this?

Do I need to send a 'NOT MINE' letter & attach a Driver's License, SSN,

old bill that reflects my current address, old paycheck stub ??? Please help !!! I was shocked when I saw my credit report today. These medical bills aren't really mine.

Any comments is very much appreciated !!

It appears you may have a cross referenced file with someone else. This is somewhat common and notoriously difficult to fix. ID Theft is also possible.

I suggest you send a letter to TU disputing the tradelines and that you never lived in California. If you live near Chicago, you may want to take a trip down to the Board of Trade building where there is a TU branch-office and deal with someone face-to-face on this.

I ordered a credit report from TU so I can get a file# & contact them directly (chi-ching $$). I already ordered from Privacy Guard.

I spoke with TU rep & asked for the account nos. that were added to my

CR. I called few CA that reported the problem. I gave them the account

no. & asked for the name in the account - they gave me a different name

but with the same last name. I told them that they reported it under my name. I also disputed it with TU saying 'NOT MINE'.

I hope that this is an easy one. I will keep you guys posted...

Any input/output?

Thanks!

The best bet is to dispute the accounts with the credit report directly. The FCRA states that once you dispute it with the credit bureau, the credit bureau will contact the people making the report. They have thiry days to either verify, update, delete, or correct. More than likely, when you dispute it, you would provide your name, address, and social security number. When the credit bureau sends the dispute to those making the report, it is very likely that the information won't match as a whole. If that is the case, the creditor will inform the credit bureau to delete the information.

It is important to understand how the credit report reports information. They go by name, address and social security number. They often will cross match on a name or an address, but not the whole address. For example, if you are John Smith at 55 Headway Avenue, and there is another John Smith at 55 Headwaters Avenue, there is a high likelihood that other person's stuff will end up on your bureau. Also, if you name your kid after yourself, more than likely the credit will be co-mingled as you and your child will share the same address at one time as well as name, so when that child enters the world of credit, many times their accounts will show on your report.

When we get requests where I work to verify,we verify if the information we have, such as name and social security number and address, match the information you are sending. If it all does, we verify it as correct. If it does not, then we tell them to delete it. If you end up with repeated verifications on accounts that you know are not yours, then what is happening is that the creditor has the same information as you. At that point, if it is fraud, then you would probably have to contact the creditor to deal with the fraud issue.

It will take some time to take care of this issue, so you will need to be patient. Usually, once a correction is made on a report, it may take 30-60 days for the report to show the correct information. That is why it is important if you contact the original creditors and they agree to delete that you get something in writing on their letterhead either mailed or faxed to you for your records. Then, if the matter comes up again and you are trying to obtain financing for a house or car or something, you can show the creditor that letter and that in many cases is enough for them to ignore the listing.