In VA, got FL CA letter for Brother-in-law...

inovermyhead

This concerns me, because I have no credit connection with him.

How did they get MY name & address? What can I do?

I do know this concerns a vet bill he refused to pay because he alleged the vet overmedicated his dog, causing his death. However, my concern is whether they are allowed to pull my address/credit info, how else would they get this info?

Sheesh, I have enough debt problems of my own! 8)

TIA

They probably got you through skip tracing. Private information comes from numerous sources so if have a phone, own a home, perhaps have a web site, listed your information or registered with Classmates.com or etc. you are easily locatable. This is a common problem. Should credit inquires have been made on you initially, under the law it may be permissable if they have verified as a result it wasn't you who was responsible. Laws on what constitutes permissable purpose are not iron-clad and can be open to interpretation.

Laws on what constitutes permissable purpose are not iron-clad and can be open to interpretation.

Afraid I have to disagree. The FCRA is quite explicit on what constitutes a PP (see section 604).

I've sued several CA's who claim they were attempting to collect on an alleged account I was responsible for. When I demended proof of the alleged account, there was none and I socked it to 'em for non-PP.

They claimed they were collecting on an account. My theory was they were randonly accessing consumer's credit reports hoping to find delinquent accounts in which to solicit business from OC's. Since they didn't have any evidence I was responsible, they paid dearly.

They probably got you through skip tracing. Private information comes from numerous sources so if have a phone, own a home, perhaps have a web site, listed your information or registered with Classmates.com or etc. you are easily locatable. This is a common problem. Should credit inquires have been made on you initially, under the law it may be permissable if they have verified as a result it wasn't you who was responsible. Laws on what constitutes permissable purpose are not iron-clad and can be open to interpretation.

What I don't understand is how BIL in FL was connected to ME...not my husband. DH & I have no credit connection with BIL whatsoever....

Our last name is fairly common, so what did they do, send this letter to everyone in the country with our last name?