Federal Tax lien needs removal

braxas

I made too much money in 96...Uncle Sam filed a lien while I was working out an Offer of Compromise with them...anyhow...they filed it in Dec 96....and I satisfied it Dec 96...both are showing up...the lien with its #s...and the satified statement with payment date...How do I get this off my credit Report?

irs tax leins stay on your report for 7 years from the date they are satisfied (paid). if your lein was satisfied in '96, then you need to dispute the entry as outdated. the cra ('s) should delete immediately. if not, raise hell they are breaking the law.

Have you veirifed that the lien was satisifed in full? In my experience, the IRS is not always 100% timely, or accurate on their accounting and reporting.

You should have received a "Release of Federal Tax Lien" when it was paid in full, and satisfied. The date of "release" is the date for starting the clock on the 7 year reporting on credit reports.

The previous post is correct; it should have come off in January 2004. Do your CR's show the "release date". I had one that did NOT show the release date until I disputed them as PAID IN FULL.

Review all the basic information; you have an administrative issue that should be easily corrcted. Make sure you have adequate documentation to verify grounds for its removal.

Guest KARENMW67

Tax liens that have been paid in full but newer. How should I dispute. I heard that you can get the CRA's on verifying with a third party?What should I use for the CRA's?

Tax liens that have been paid in full but newer. How should I dispute. I heard that you can get the CRA's on verifying with a third party?What should I use for the CRA's?

This is harder than it sounds. You can get the CRAs on lack of proper validation, but it is tricky, and you will have to be willing to litigate (sue).

First, you dispute the tradeline.

If it comes back "verified", you then request "Procedural Evidence" of how they verified (which you never fully get).

Then, you proceed to your local courthouse, where your lien is filed, and ask the records department if they have been requested to verify the record of lien. (Most likely they have not). Request a letter to this fact.

Then you submit a copy of this statement from your courthouse, as "evidence" that the CRA did not properly investigate and verify.

Then, you will most likely have to sue for removal.

The problem is, the tax liens are public records. Most can be pulled from public computer terminals at the courthouses, or... from "databases" that offer services such as this. The other popular method is that a person goes to the courthouses, and pulls up these records as "verification". The legal stipulation here is the FCRA wording of "contacting and verifying with the source". You are really pushing a technicality here.

I have heard of this strategy, but I have never heard of anyone actually being successful with it.