Ch7 just discharged, where do I start?

vettegirl

I just ordered all 3 reports, and have sent back all the IIB corrections that need to be made.

Once I get that done, where do I begin to start raising my credit scores? I have 3 trade lines that I kept, but did not reaffirm. 1 car is reporting as current, and no mention of IIB (which I didn't correct). 1 car is showing IIB with no balance due, does not send statements, but payments are current. I also kept 1 jewelry store account because I thought it would help re-establish credit, but showing IIB, $0 balance, not sending statements, although I owe approx $400, and has always been current.

There were some old, good, paid off trade lines that we did not include in BK that still show up - I am leaving them alone right now.

What else would you do? I really appreciate all I have learned here!

In general you will find it hard to get any unsecured credit for about a year or two. Any "credit card" offers you get will likely require you to pay into a security deposit fund.

The best way to start geting your scores to improve is to have a relative put you on their card as an authorized user. This will allow you to get the benefit of their credit history on the account without you being liable for the balance. One or two of these showing on your credit report for six months should put you in a position to take out a secured loan on a retail purchase, such as a laptop or a piece of furniture. Pay it off on-time over 12 months and that will be a good mark.

Lastly, once you have a little rebuilding done, you may be able to take out an unsecured loan from a bank (they will be more comfortable with this if you have a savings account with them that has some $$ in it first). Take out $500 at whatever % they will grant over 6-12 months -- it will be a high % -- and then use the $500 to pay it back on-time. When the $500 is used up, you make your remaining payments covering the interest from your own pocket and that will show as a good mark.