disputed by consumer

anti-something

i'm sure this topic has been done to death, but i cant find any relevant info thru seaching (yeah i know, my searching does seem to suck)

but.. when you dispute a debt with a CA and they have listed with a CRA, what, if any, time limit is upon the CA to update the info with the CRA?

the way i'm reading the law (FDCPA) they only have to place the 'disputed' notation if they report. to me that means that anything already sitting on a CR is not covered by this law. so what, if anything is stopping them from never updating?

(i ask coz CSC just dont appear to be taking my dispute, so i am presently unable to get the "disputed" status working thru them.)

i'm trying a dispute directly with the CA pulling out the new FACTA stuff for furnishers. no idea how that will pan out...

Not quite. Read Section 1692e(8 ) and you will see that the last sentance specifically says that they cannot report it as undisputed if it has been.

Also read the FDCPA opinion letter "Cass." In there the FTC has made it quite clear that a CA must update the reporting to "disputed" if it was reported prior to receiving the consumer's dispute. And the FTC also says in the same letter that if the CA has not reported it to the CRAs by the time they get the dispute from the consumer, they may not report the trade-line at all.

The only thing unclear is the time frame in which the CA must update a disputed tradeline. because it is all done electronically, it is reasonable to assume that one week is more than sufficient for them to technically update. However, 30 days is the standard respond to time that courts use as a measure. If a CA has not updated after 30 days, you can pretty much be assured they have no intention to.