Sign in to follow this  
donnak

Validate or Cease Communication

I have a collection letter from RMS for trash service which was not rendered. A few months back I wrote the trash pick up people about the bill I disagreed with, they in turn turned it over for collections?

So do I ask the RMS people to validate or cease communication?

Thanks in advance!

You paid for trash service that you didn't get? Did you report the company???

Actualy, I paid for service but the billing was all screwed up so I wrote a letter to them:

Waste Management

San Antonio

P.O. Box 79168

Phoenix, Az 85062-9168

RE: Past Due Billing Received: Acct # : xxxxxxxxx-xx-xxxx-x

To whom it may concern:

I received from you a past due bill in the amount of $178.77, I am writing to dispute this debt with you.

In Sept. 2003 I received a parcial bill for the amount of $32.99 which was paid 9-13-2003 with check # 3299

On Dec. 18th 2003 I made a electronic payment of 64.70.

The last time you picked up my trash was Dec. 19th 2003, because I received a bill sometime that next week for another $ 70.00 something dollars and decided that I no longer needed your service.

Please feel free to contact me in writing with any futher requests for information.

The bill they say I owe goes like this:

1 Month..................May 31,2004.....................$24.93

4 Months................Feb 29, 2004.....................$88.67

Makes no sense to me.............I quit putting my trash out in December because their billing was screwy. I called and told them not to bother with my trash.

Sugestions on dealing with this?

Report them to your state's Attorney General's office - Consumer Protection Division. They are ripping you off.

I would start with the City Attorney's Office. Remember, in most cases, this trash company is able to conduct their business only because they have a contract with the City to pick up the trash. Since you have proof of the errors, this will definitely benefit you in getting this resolved. In short, if you can prove they are not trustworthy in their billing practices, the City may not aloow them to bid next time. Your contacting the City should get the ball moving.

I live outside of the city limits, the city has their own trash service through the city.

So, I call the county attorney and what, show him the past bills, cancelled checks, the letter I wrote to them, by the way of which was certified.

No, you need to start with the City. If they can't help you, they can direct you to the proper person or place.

In the mean time, i have a collection agency calling and writting letters. So I take it then I should send the cease communication letter, and then call the county attorney and see who I talk to about the trash service provided?

Compose a letter to the CA with copies of all of your communications and transactions showing you have paid the bill and what is being collected is not correct as there is no amount due. Include in this letter that they may only communicate by US Mail as no phone calls will be accepted. Stress the fact as to how you had approached the OC in getting this resolved and your actions fell on the deaf and blind and it was assigned to them for collection. Before you write the letter, call the City Attorney and find out exactly who you have to file your complaint with, then add this to your letter. In short, they must prove beyond any doubt there is a balance due since your own records show all that has transpired. Also make mention of the laws as to reporting incorrect information and that their client can be held liable for their actions. You get the message. Send it CMRR and wait for their response. Give them 10 days from receipt of your letter to postmark their response to you, or, you will pursue all avenues available to you in getting this resolved, including, but, not limited to, naming them as a defendant in a Civl Suit.