Authorized User Question...

phicksfla

My Mom has agreed to add me as an authorized user to 3 of her cc's to help bring my scores up enough to qualify for a mortgage in the next year or so. She can add me on th following cards"

Sears

JC Penney's

Kaufman's

Does anyone have any experience being added as auth users on these cards? And what can I expect to happen with my scores?

The cards are all over 10 years old, have low utilization and fairly high limits. Anything I should know specifically when having her add me to these cards?

Having yourself added as an AU can help your scores, if the OC reports them. Sometimes the OC does not report AU's, but, the rep at the CRA may add if they happen to notice the relationship between a couple, such as a DH and DW. Other times the OC will report AU's with no problem. I've heard you have to ask if they will. Once they are reported, they will have to stay for a while before they actually affect the score as recent action can sometimes drop a score, though not a lot.

Most important to remember is if any negative information, such as the OC reports a 30 day late in error, if you dispute this, the TL will more than likely get deleted immediately. TU is a good example as they will immediately delete once you dispute any part of an AU TL, without disputing with the OC. And, the TL will never appear again.

No, not that I am aware. In my situation, all my DW did was request a card with my name on it when she applied. On her first one with Premier, both cards came in the same envelope, one for each of us. One of her other ones did the same, while the last sent it 14 days after she called and requested it as this one was done over the phone. At no time was I told to sign anything or give any personal information.

To answer your question, I would have the primary call the CC company and request a second card for the spouse. I know some of them charge for the second card, including an annual fee, but, the way I look at it, it is another positive TL.

Hi

I got added as an AU to my mom's MBNA card, but they never reported on my reports. I had my mom call to see if they would. They said I had to get signed up as a Joint acount holder. But when they checked my credit they turned me down! D'oh.

So I guess MBNA doesn't report on AUs. Bummer. The thing that really irritates me is that I was super clear with the woman on the phone. I explained exactly why I wanted this TL reported, to help me rebuild my credit. I said, "if you check my credit it's not going to be very good." She said, "Oh that won't matter, it's just a technicality." or something like that. Yeah right!!!

BTW: Should I dispute that inquiry if it shows up? It hasn't yet.

ed

• 2 years later...

my aunt added me as an auth user about a week ago for JCPenny's... she has had the account since 1977. will the CC report open since 1977? that will give me 28 years of history(no lates) and the funny part is i am only 29... i hope this works